Chapter 5

Daniel

Sarah and I were talking about Ana when we suddenly heard shouting nearby. The voices belonged to Alex and Ana. They didn't sound like they were in danger, more like they were arguing, as they kept yelling. I hesitated for a moment, then got up to go after them, but Sarah stopped me again.

"I'll go. They're arguing, and only I can calm my brother down in such situations. If you go there, it'll only make things worse," she said, taking Ana's sword in her hands. "In the meantime, you keep watch; the Dark Ones might have heard us."

I nodded and watched as she sprinted in the direction of the voices. The shouting slowly faded and eventually became silent. I was starting to feel reassured that Sarah had probably sorted things out when I saw Alex alone. His face was unreadable, and he didn't look into my eyes as he spoke.

"She needs your help, not mine," he said softly but firmly.

He didn't need to say more; I ran in the direction he had come from as fast as I could.

"Ana!" I shouted, not seeing or hearing them.

"Daniel, over here!" Sarah called out.

I followed her voice. The girl was kneeling on the ground, Ana's head resting on her lap, and Ana's body wasn't moving.

"What happened?" I asked, worried, as I knelt beside them.

"Alex... he said something to Ana, and her emotions completely overwhelmed her. The Light got out of control. When I got here, all I saw was Ana kneeling on the ground, her whole body was glowing intensely, and her tears...," Sarah pointed to the ground. The grass beneath us had burnt. "Her eyes were shining in the color of fire. It was both beautiful and terrifying at the same time. But I could only look at it for a moment; then it started to hurt my eyes. After that... it stopped. She passed out. I asked Alex to help me lift her and take her back, but he didn't want to touch her like this. He said the girl wouldn't appreciate it, and he wouldn't touch her like this."

I carried Ana's body in my arms. She felt incredibly light. Slowly, we began to make our way back to our small campsite. Silence and the darkness of the night surrounded us.

"I understand if you're angry, but please don't take it out on Alex. I know you two don't get along, but he regrets what he said, and he wouldn't have said it if Ana hadn't provoked him. They're both at fault in this case. Let's leave this to them," Sarah whispered.

"I don't intend to argue with him now. I believe you, so I understand that Alex didn't mean to say what he did. Nevertheless, I'd like to ask him about what happened."

The girl nodded.

We returned to the boy who was sitting by the fire, staring at the growing flames. His face still revealed nothing. He didn't look up as we approached.

"Alexander, please bring a blanket from my bag," I said to him, and he obeyed, handing me the blanket. As he was about to return to his spot, I grabbed his wrist.

"What happened?" I asked in the calmest tone possible. I really didn't want to argue with him. It's pointless.

The boy slowly turned toward me, but he didn't look at me. Instead, his gaze was fixed on Ana's body.

"I didn't mean to..."

"I know. I just want to understand what upset you so much. I don't want to be angry, and I don't want to interfere; this will be your thing."

He hesitated for a moment, then continued, "She... mentioned someone who..." Alex didn't provide a clear answer but added, "I offended her and dragged her brother into it. You too. I was furious, lost control, and I don't even know why I said something that's certainly not true."