Chapter 6

The next morning, I woke up to a loud scream. Rubbing my eyes, I sat up and looked around. Lisa and Luna were already on their feet, looking at me with concern.

"What was that?" Lisa asked.

"Get ready, they're coming!" I heard Alex's voice, and he emerged from behind the trees, running toward us.

"Dark Ones?" Daniel asked as he appeared beside me, wielding a sword.

"Yes, and there are quite a few of them. At least ten that I saw, but I didn't have time to count precisely," Alex replied.

"Have they spotted us?" Luna inquired.

"I'm not sure, but I think they know we're here, and..." Another scream echoed, this time very close.

"...I'm pretty sure they're heading our way," Alex finished the sentence.

"Everyone, prepare for combat. We can't run from them anymore," Daniel stated firmly.

I was on my feet as soon as Daniel gave the order. I took my bow in hand and tucked throwing knives into my belt, knowing I might need them.

"Is Lisa going to fight too?" Daniel asked, turning to the two girls.

"Yes, both of us can fight. We can defend ourselves or even you if needed. But if you don't mind, we'd prefer to stay a bit farther back. If there are too many of them, I wouldn't want to get too close," Luna replied.

"Of course, I completely understand," Daniel nodded.

"Lisa can stay with me," I offered. "If something were to happen, I can heal. And they're also afraid of the Light. She'll be safe with me."

"Then you two stay back," Luna said calmly. "I'll assist the others up close."

"They're here!" Sarah shouted from the background. She held a dagger in one hand and her chakram in the other.

Luna pulled a pistol from her bag. Needless to say, I was utterly astonished, and I wasn't the only one.

"My father knew how to use this. He taught us, and he gave this to me when he died," Luna explained after she noticed our shock.

"Do you have bullets for it?" Alex asked.

"I rarely use it, and I've had the chance to collect quite a few rounds when we holed up in a police station."

"Great!"

"Not really. It takes a lot of rounds to incapacitate them. They won't drop with just one bullet," Luna clarified.

As we prepared to face the impending threat, Daniel outlined our strategy. "Let's try to divert them in different directions so they don't all rush us at once. Luna, come with me. Alex, go with Sarah in the other direction. Ana, try to get their attention, but don't overdo it."

Everyone followed Daniel's orders. I raised my bow, ready for the shot. I had to act quickly. I released my first arrow, which pierced the Dark One's neck, and immediately aimed for another, hitting his chest, causing him to fall to the ground motionless. The enemies were approaching one by one, which made my task easier.

Now, there were two Dark Ones approaching us, but I didn't need to worry. I managed to hit one in the heart, while Lisa threw a knife into the chest of the other Dark One.

It was a great throw.

They kept coming relentlessly, getting closer and closer. I had to switch to my sword since it made no sense to shoot at such close range. My hair was in my eyes, and I was soaked, covered in black blood. I was panting and gasping for air because there were too many enemies, and I was starting to get tired.