Chapter 14

Ana

The elevator stopped on the second floor. The door opened and I stepped out into the hallway. I was just turning around to wave goodbye to the others, but I was so shocked for a moment that no sound came out of my mouth. Alex also stepped out of the elevator with me, so only Sarah and Piper, who were also staring in surprise, remained inside.

"Alex?" Sarah spoke up. "What are you doing?"

"I was going to ask the same thing," I said, looking at the boy.

"I'm staying with you until your dad or Lisa and the others are away."

"And then you'll walk over to us alone? Alex, after what happened, it's dangerous to wander alone. You don't have a weapon, and... Ethan knows us. We escaped from him once. We're also his targets," Sarah protested.

"Leon and the others are already patrolling. Besides, we know we have to be careful, and we expect someone might attack. Daniel didn't know this. Ethan isn't stupid, he definitely didn't stay here. We don't have to worry about him now. Everything will be fine." Sarah nodded slowly, smiling, and Piper waved as the elevator doors closed again.

"I wanted to rest," I said as we headed towards the door.

"You can rest. I just don't want to leave you alone."

"Thank you," I whispered to him with a little smile.

As we walked down the hallway, a strange sense of security surrounded me. Alex's presence was somehow reassuring, and it increasingly distracted me from what had happened recently. However, the fact that he didn't want to leave me alone felt a bit strange.

Would he rather be with me than with his sister?

I found myself being glad that Alex stayed with me. If Sarah or Piper wanted to spend some time with me, I wouldn't be as happy. I want to make up with the boy.

I want to talk to him.

I collapsed onto my bed as soon as I entered my room. Alex closed the door and then placed the chair from the desk next to my bed. He also turned on the lamp on the nightstand.

I sat up and took off my shoes so I could fully burrow into the bed. I positioned myself to be able to see the boy's face.

"And you'll just sit there?" I asked.

"If you want to sleep, then yes."

"Let's talk a bit more."

A smile crept onto the boy's lips. His eyes sparkled. He looked so beautiful like this. He should smile more often. Finally, he wasn't hiding his feelings.

His smile made me smile too.

"About what?" he asked.

Anything. I want to truly get to know you.

"Would you tell me more about yourself?" I asked hesitantly. If I had asked him this a few days ago, I would have been sure he wouldn't say anything. But things had changed.

He looked towards the window, staring outside for a moment, lost in thought. Then he looked back at me and started speaking.

"I used to love playing the piano, before. My foster parents allowed me to take piano lessons. Oliver also liked musical instruments. He learned to play the guitar. Since we met, he always proudly showed me what he already knew. We wanted to start a band, of course, only when we were older."

It was so unusual to see the emotions in the boy's eyes. I saw a love for the other boy, something I couldn't have imagined he could feel for anyone besides his sister. The sadness, the grief, the pain caused by the boy's death were visible. But I also saw joy as he remembered their plans, the happy memories. The emotions on his face touched me too.