Chapter 13

It felt like a dream. In the distance, he heard crying. Not from just one person, but from several at once. He recognized the voices of the people, yet couldn't identify them. He felt nothing, couldn't grasp what was happening. All he knew was that he had died.

For a while, he saw nothing, only the thick fog around him. He couldn't tell where he was heading in the fog, just following the direction guided by some invisible force.

Gradually, the fog began to dissipate, revealing two figures before him. Then he heard the sounds more clearly. They were no longer cries of sorrow. No mourning.

He found himself in a room unknown to him. A lamp dimly lit the room, placed on the table in the center. There were two chairs in the room, both occupied by men. And he knew both of them.

On the left, a man held a glass of wine in one hand and played with a knife in the other. The hood still covered his head. Across from him, the Master of Darkness poured himself a drink.

"You may speak," Dorian said.

"You were wrong. You trusted that he didn't turn his back on you, but that's the truth. He didn't respect you the way I do."

"You killed him?"

"Yes, I killed him, but I had to escape. If I had stayed longer, they would have found me. The Light already knows what I look like. Alexander also recognized me. But there's one thing I still don't understand. Why did you tell them that you want the Light and your entire family, when you ordered me to kill Daniel? Why could I kill him?"

"Firstly, I wanted to know how strong he was. I wanted to know if he could defeat you. You are stronger than him, as I can see. However, despite killing him, it was in vain. He's not dead," he said, his gaze piercing into mine.

"What?" the man exclaimed, jumping to his feet.

"You don't see him, but I do. You don't know him, but I do. I gave him this. That's why you are so special, my son. I would have been happier if you had sided with me and learned it that way."

It was difficult for me to speak; I couldn't even hear my own voice properly, as if I were underwater.

"I am literally a ghost. What's so special about that?" Ethan's face turned pale at the sound of my voice. He returned to his seat and drank the wine in his glass.

"You're not a ghost," my father said, laughing. Ethan's face turned even paler. "Daniel, you are immortal. As long as I live, there is nothing in the world that can end your life."

"This is funny, considering my lifeless body is still lying somewhere in the Camp. I am already dead." I tried to make him understand, but my father just laughed as if he shared a mysterious joke with me.

"Yes, others think you're dead. This is the ability I gave you, my son. If you are severely wounded or find yourself in a situation where others would die, your heart stops beating for a while, making them believe they've ended your life. Your soul wanders outside your body. Eventually, you return to your body, and your heart starts beating again. It's like coming back from the dead. That's what will happen. Your friends will think you're dead, but you'll rise before them within minutes. They won't believe their eyes. I thought that once you understood this, you would reconsider. Come back to me, my son."

"Why would I want to go back to you? You killed me!" I replied angrily. I wanted to grab Ethan by the throat.

"Daniel, everything I do is for you. I showed you that you are unbeatable with this. I dedicate everything to you, why won't you accept these things? Ethan would proudly accept the Darkness."