Chapter 12

Ana

The grayness was replaced by complete darkness by the time everyone was ready. Standing by the window, I watched the approaching people. They stood in a long line in front of the building, all dressed in elegant attire.

It was surprising to see them because I hadn't experienced such a crowd in many years, especially in a place where neither escape nor survival motivated them. Instead, happiness and health radiated from their faces as they eagerly awaited the evening.

I stepped away from the window and walked to the mirror. For a moment, I stood before the mirror and immersed myself in the magic created by the green dress. The wide, knee-length skirt looked particularly good, and although it wasn't tight, it still advantageously emphasized my figure. My brown hair cascaded in loose waves onto my shoulders, and I decided not to tie it up; instead, I straightened it with the hair straightener I found in the bathroom.

I was completely enchanted by my own appearance. Until now, I had never had the opportunity to wear such a beautiful dress.

I was so focused on myself that I only noticed the approaching figure when it stopped a few steps behind me.

Alex stood in front of my bed. He wore a white shirt, not fully buttoned, leaving a small gap visible on his chest. His necklace with the silver cross hung around his neck, the one I had helped him find. He also had black trousers and a black jacket, but he held the latter in his hands.

He looked really good.

Silently, he sat on the bed, keeping his eyes on mine.

He didn't seem like someone who wanted to say anything, so I broke the silence.

"How did you get in?"

"Your door was slightly open."

"Not—wait, and you just came in? Without knocking?"

"As you can see."

"I could have been changing. I could have been without clothes."

"Could have been," he said, and the corner of his mouth curled upward.

"Why are you here, Alex?" I asked seriously, feeling uneasy about his sudden appearance.

He didn't respond immediately. He stood up, walked beside me, and stepped towards the window, and I could also sense the fragrance of his perfume. The scent was like a delicate blend of fruits and flowers.

"Your brother sent me up for you since he still had some business. Everyone is already downstairs; you're the only one missing."

"Why did he send you and not Daniel?"

"Daniel had just arrived with his family when I was heading up to you. His sister wanted to introduce him to someone, and he didn't want to say no. So, I stayed. Don't be too disappointed," he said mockingly.

Silence settled between us again.

I turned back to the mirror, where I could also see Alex's face.

I could tell something was bothering him, but I wasn't sure if I dared to ask.

He probably wouldn't answer honestly anyway.

I took one last look at myself in the mirror. However, from the corner of my eye, I noticed that Alex's gaze was no longer directed toward the window; instead, his eyes were now on me. His gaze traveled the length of my entire body, from top to bottom, then back up. As our eyes met, he turned his head away and headed for the door.

"Come on," he declared, leaving the room without looking back.

He waited for me at the elevator, standing with his back to me. As we entered the elevator, something crossed my mind.