Chapter 3

Alex

After the events with Ana, I stayed inside for a few days. I preferred to remain in the house, talking with Sarah, and occasionally joining Ana and Daniel in their training, despite the murderous glares the boy threw my way.

I could see it on his face that he would have preferred to send me away or leave himself, but he wasn't willing to leave Ana alone with me. My opinion about this family didn't change after these few days. Something here wasn't normal. Something was off about this family, and I had a feeling that Daniel's hostility toward me had something to do with it.

I understood that Ana never found anything peculiar or questioned their situation since they saved her, and she felt safe. But to me, it was abundantly clear that this place was different. Ever since we entered this forest, something has been bothering me. I don't want to stay here any longer than necessary. As soon as Sarah is ready, we'll leave. I hope Ana is smart enough to come with us. If she wants to bring Daniel along, I don't mind, but we're better off with Ana, and if she comes, Daniel surely won't stay here.

Adam left early this morning, leaving a message that he won't be back for a week. That's when I decided it's time to leave the house. My intention was to explore the surroundings, hoping to find some clues or interesting things, but unfortunately, I was disappointed.

I didn't rush back to the house but continued walking a bit further. I needed to clear my mind and push away thoughts about Daniel and his father. However, I made sure to stay relatively close to the house.

With my hand on the hilt of my sword, I found nothing indicating the presence of the Dark Ones or any disturbances. Everything was quiet. I ventured further away from the house, still cautious.

Suddenly, I came to a halt when I heard them. Their screams, which were very close by.

They emerged from behind one of the trees. They turned towards me, and when they noticed me, they started running.

With my free hand, I pulled out a knife and hurled it towards them. The knife sliced through the air swiftly, and since they were already quite close to me, one of them didn't have time to dodge it. The knife sharply struck one of the Dark Ones in the neck, black blood spilled onto the ground. Events unfolded rapidly, and just in time, I managed to grab my sword.

As another Dark One tried to jump away, my katana swiftly moved with lightning speed, it cut through the body, splitting it in half.

The last remaining Dark One roared again, prompting more distant roars in response. A few curses escaped my lips as I tried to run faster, aiming to get closer to the house and put some distance between me and them. For a brief moment, I glanced back to see how close they were.

One of the Dark Ones was dangerously close, its mouth wide open, revealing sharp, massive teeth. Instinctively, I drew my sword. The motion was somewhat clumsy due to my running, but just as it was about to pounce, I spun around and blindly thrust the sword forward. To my surprise, I successfully stabbed it in the chest.

I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw the house ahead of me. I was almost there. Now I could finally find out what was going on with this house, why they hadn't been able to breach it before, or why they hadn't come closer to it. I planned to lure them closer to it.

Once again, I glanced back and noticed that the previous Dark One was preparing to leap. I quickly threw myself to the ground, and as I got up, I saw that it had jumped over me. It landed in front of me, its gaze challenging. At the same time, I realized that more Dark Ones were closing in behind me, slowly surrounding me.