Chapter 8

In front of Alex and Sarah's house, Luna was waiting for us, her face showing concern, and her voice trembling slightly as she spoke.

"The bedroom... he is in a very bad condition."

Alex immediately rushed into the house, pulling me along, and when we reached the living room, he indicated the door on the left. I hurried there.

With great force, I swung the door open and almost fell into the room. Daniel lay on the bed in the bedroom, on his stomach, his back covered in blood. Sarah knelt beside him, holding a bandage, and I could see medicines, bandages, cotton pads, and various other items scattered around. Lisa was also there, talking to the boy, who responded by shaking his head.

He's alive. Everything will be okay.

Lisa was the first to notice me, and relief washed over her face.

"Ana! Finally!" she exclaimed. Daniel slowly turned his head toward me, and I could see that every movement was a struggle for him. His face didn't look any better; one of his eyes was severely swollen, and his face was covered in blue and purple bruises.

"They clawed and bit him," Sarah said, addressing me. "He lost a lot of blood, and I tried to help, but he's in a lot of pain, and I doubt the painkillers will work."

By the time I reached the boy, my hand was already glowing. I ran my fingers along one of the claw marks, and it slowly began to heal.

"Amazing!" Sarah watched the process with wonder. She was no longer frightened. She glanced at her own hands, horrified by the blood on her palm. She quickly got up, smiled encouragingly at me, and headed for the door. Lisa, too, watched my hand for a while. When Daniel turned to face me, she left the room as well.

"I'm so glad to see you, Ana. I already feel much better. You are the remedy to all my pain," he said with gratitude.

"How much does it still hurt?" I asked as I gently stroked his face with my other hand. His face seemed to mold itself into my palm, or at least that's how it felt.

"Not at all. I feel warmth and calm. I don't have any pain. Are you all right? Did anything happen to you?" He reached for my arm and carefully held my hand, so gently as if I were fragile.

He was the one who almost died, but he worries about me much more than himself.

"Dan, do you see a  wound on me like yours? No, I don't either. Don't worry because of me," I replied.

"I couldn't sleep before because I didn't want you to be too upset. You had to see that it's not so bad," Daniel said with a sigh.

"How did you know?"

"What?"

"How did you know I'd get here in time? We were delayed, and it took us much longer than we had planned."

Daniel smiled, although signs of exhaustion still showed on his face.

"Did you find something?" he asked.

"We found someone, Daniel. Not just anyone. But we'll discuss this together with the others."

The wound on his back had completely disappeared, and I had managed to heal the wounds on his face. Only the bite marks on his shoulder remained. I was about to place my hand on it, but he stopped me.

"Let something remain as a reminder of this heroic act. It didn't hurt so far," he said casually.

He sat up in bed, looking more at ease than before. Daniel gave me a grateful look and patted the spot beside him, indicating for me to take a seat. I joined him and gently placed my hand on his bare chest. His body radiated warmth, and I felt soothed as he ran his fingers along the nape of my neck.