Chapter 19

KJENFKRENFLMF

I KNOW YALL FINNA LOVEEEEE THISSSS

Aurora's POV

"It's an invitation. To Alleviate. Tonight."

Xavier gives me an assessing look.

He hadn't responded to the message, so I took it upon myself to deliver it, in-person. It was either that, or I ask Kaiden.

The thing is, he's been gone for days. So has Evelyn.

Without delving my mind too much into whatever the fuck they were doing this past week, Xavier ended up my only option- and probably the best. Especially considering the tension I feel thrumming between him and Mikhail everytime the Cosa Nostra's men have a meeting worth ten heads.

He stood in the doorway of his apartment, broad shoulders bulging against a black full-sleeve and grey sweats hung loose at his waist.

It wasn't hard to find the place, not when Enzo's computer in his study was a power-house with a database as easy to sneak into- only because I'm aware of the password. I'd quickly tapped in the phrase 'purplebutterfly', ignoring how entirely erratic the choice was- considering my brother's level-headed mind that always fought for the hard casts of logic rather than creativity.

"Do you expect me to say yes?" He says, voice clouded with caution- and something else I can't quite place.

"If you want what's good for you." I hum, putting on a small smile and keeping my eyes up. His abs were distracting- more than I could admit myself.

He twists his jaw, contemplating. "And what will I retain?"

I think myself, glancing at the grey vinyl under his feet. "Free company for the night?"

He chuckles under his breath. "Aurora, I bought you a necklace."

And I didn't wear it.

The words hang between us, my feet starting to switch places in hesitation. "My skin doesn't tend to respond well to gold- I'm allergic."

I know the believability of the excuse is anything but enough, and he knows that too. "Are you, now?"

He shifts in the doorway, leaning against the side and crossing his arms. My lips part at the sight of his biceps flexing- it's not like I can ignore it.

"Nonetheless," I sigh, "My life's a bore nowadays- considering how everyone's somehow involved with that investigation at our border."

He sets his jaw into place. "With the drugs, hm?"

"Yep. And of course, I'm feeling the vibe today. Either I go home drunk as shit, or end up in a hollow casket after consuming ten sniffs worth of coke."

He raises his brows, interest in them making the hope inside of me grow large.

Please, just say yes.

All I need is a yes.

"I'm assuming I'll be the one driving you home?" He pauses. "Or will it be the other one this time, too?"

My voice refuses to come out for a second, when I realize he's aware of what happened that night after the benefit. Regardless, I did feel bad for hopping out of his car just to end up in Mikhail's.

"About that. I'm sorry, I had a long night and-"

"You don't have to explain."

My mouth freezes mid-sentence, then I close it with a soft smile.