Chapter 39

this was.. a lot? perhaps to make up for the past week 🤗🤗

enjoy !!

Aurora's POV

As consciousness gradually clawed its way back to me, the first thing that hit me was the smell. Lavender. A hint of musk- but mostly lavender, not the kind that came out of an air freshener kind but the fresh, newly picked kind. 

My eyes fluttered open, headache making the action last a minute, and quickly adjusted to the dim lighting of the room. I was in a bed. A gigantic, king-sized bed, complete with a brown duvet, cream-colored sheets, and the softest pillow I've ever laid my head on.

And then it hit me. 

Rafail.

I shot up, my joints aching, and scanned the grand room for any sign of his black hair, even on the floor.

He was gone.

A gnawing feeling crawled its way through my body. I had no guarantee whatsoever that he was okay- only that I'd done a messy job at patching up his wound, and that Xavier had locked me up in that deathly room until.. right. I don't know when.

And then I glanced down, expecting to see remainders of crimson staining my hands and arms, but it was all gone. Not only that, but I wasn't wearing my old clothes. A layer of purple silk sat over my skin, a matching set of shorts and a tank top.

I scowled at myself. I'd much rather he let me stay filthy. I didn't want his clothes. His rewards. His protection.

The silk was too tacky anyways. Too.. nice. Just like he'd promised. 

'I can give you so much more.'

He could give me it all. 

Only problem was, I didn't want one fucking bit. 

I couldn't fathom what path I was taking, and whether it led to me fucking this all up, or in the least, at least making it easier for Mikhail. He had to have been up on his feet by now, right?

Something like ants pinched my exposed arms when I realized someone was tasked with cleaning me up. A cramp pinched my abdomen. Shit. I'd forgotten amongst everything else that I was still -unfortunately- on my period. Mine lasted four days at the most. Two days had passed, and the sunlight flickering in through the mauve curtains told me it was probably the third one. I sighed. Please tell me it was a female who'd laid her hands on me.

As if on cue, the wooden door opened, revealing a maid, decked in the universal white-laced black dress, cut below the knee. Definitely Russian by the way her lips frowned and thinned at the sight of me. She gave me an unimpressed once-over, then trudged in with a stack of porcelain-white towels. 

"Hey." She paused. Through the door she'd walked in, I caught a glimpse of outside- a wooden interior of a house, quite similar to the hallway I'd walked through to get to Xavier. Old, but grand and definitely polished. "Rafail. Where is he?"

The blank look on her face told me what I'd expected- she didn't have a clue as to who that was. I groaned, wincing at the pain in my legs as I slid off the bed and walked over to the door she walked into. She was ducked over, tucking the towels into a polished wooden cabinet, dark yet shiny like the rest of the Victorian-style bathroom.

"Uh.." I hesitated, awkwardly glancing away as she turned her piercing gaze to look at me. "Do you have any..?"

She rolled her eyes and side-stepped to the other cabinet next to the sink, revealing stocked up tampons and pads. I gave her a cheesy smile as she trudged back out with an unimpressed look on her face. I slowly washed up, deciding not to use the shower because, one, I'd clearly been cleaned by someone else, and, two, I didn't know how to use the medieval-looking contraption.