Chapter one:The runaway

"I hate you, I love you,I hate that I love you"

I hate that I love you"

Arabella Karve
I hiss quietly under my breath as I throw open the small window and the cold night air slices against my flushed cheeks.

I quickly look behind me, waiting for any sign of life within my bedroom that could jeopardize my dwindling chances at freedom, before throwing my legs over the harsh window seal.

I slowly angle my body and begin to carefully scale down the remorseless brick wall that is veiled by overgrown ivy crawling up the manor.

My feet hit the hard ground and I wince as the gravel crunches beneath my boots. I silently push my self up against the wall behind me, concealing myself within the dark shadows that escape the moonlight above.

I don't take my eyes off of the small camera, suspended by the roof, that is facing right at me, watching my every move, waiting.  All I can do is hope that the shadows may be on my side tonight, and that he is not watching the other side of the camera.

My heart races as it turns, painfully slow, in the opposite direction and I realize that it is now or never. I smoothly throw myself off of the wall and don't hesitate before sprinting with all I am in to the dark and silent woods surrounding the manor.

I don't even bother looking back of the place that is supposed to my home, but rather is my dungeon were all my memories that are better forgotten, lurk within.

The dead leaves and fallen branches crunch under my feet as I flee from my personal hell controlled my entire life.

I can't let him find me. I can't go back.

I silently chant my memorized directions over and over again as I navigate my way through the maze of trees and darkness. "Stay north until the willow tree, turn right at the river."

The breathless words come out between my chattering teeth and frozen lips.

This time I cannot mess up.

My body floods with relief as my eyes finally land upon the cluster of buildings, consisting of the ageless town just a few miles away from the manor.

A sharp chill runs on my spine as another ruthless fall breeze blows against my body. I tightly hug my frock coat closer to my body, trying to get any possible warmth to settle my soft shivering.

My loose brown hair softly blows behind me in the bitter wind as I quickly begin walking into the sleeping town.

I gaze at the dimly lit streets, shocked at how during the day this street is filled with smiling people and the blissful sounds of laughter. But now in the darkness, it feels like a ghost town filled with complete nothingness.