Chapter 21

47:37:19

Jack drove to the mall in the batmobile, dressed in new clothes he could move faster in. Just a simple crop top, jacket and leggings. Alfred had insisted in some padding underneath his clothes, but Jack refused it. He had never needed armour before during his villain days, being the hero couldn't be much different.

His shoulders stiffened at that thought. The hero...he was being that, wasn't he? Saving these people at the mall, saving Bruce and the others. He was being the hero. He chewed on his bottom lip, brows furrowing. "Jesus...what is my life coming to?" He mumbled to himself.

It wasn't even three months ago that he was seen as the biggest villain of Gotham. Well, he WAS still seen that way. Would he be the clown prince of heroism, now? He chuckled to himself at the thought. Fuck, this was a weird turn to his life. And he had fallen into a vat of acid, for fucks sakes!

He saw the mall coming into view, and parked the batmobile into an alley not far away. The parking lot to the mall was filled with different cars. Police were assessing the situation, and news reporters stood outside, waiting to get any new information to report. Jack used the grabbling gun to get to the roof, climbing up with a small huff. He searched for a way in, finding a vent on the end of the roof. He ran over, kicking it open with the heel of his shoes. 

Well, step one was done. He crawled inside quickly, able to assess the situation better from the ventilation system. He counted nineteen hostages in total, all tied up and gagged with makeshift clothing items. It was a mall, after all. He couldn't see the perpetrator, so he moved forward slightly.

"$5,000. I expect the check in the next hour" A voice Jack recognized all too well spoke from beneath him, and he grinned. Clayface. Fuck, this was gonna be too easy. Basil was just hanging up the phone when Jack had spotted him, no doubt making a ransom for the hostages. Clayface used to always think he was on 'par' with Joker. It used to always drive Jack mad, but now he could actually use it to his advantage.

Dropping down, he chose to make himself known. "Clayface, ol' chum! It's been a long while, hasn't it?"

Basil Karlo turned to face him, face full of confusion but quickly turning to one of recognition. "Joker! To what do I owe this surprise?"

"Why, can I not just visit an old friend?" It was idle chatter, really. Pointless and stalling, as he calculated the best ways to turn the situation around. It may be slight cheating, the fact that he was relying on taking Clayface by surprise, but what the hell? You can't blame Jack too much. He had bigger fish to fry. Plus, he didn't feel too bad about tricking Basil.

He never liked the amalgamative sod anyway.

Mid response from himself, he threw a kick square into his mess of a nose. His skin (though whether it was actually skin was debatable)  folded in with the kick, and Jack took the stunned stumbling back as an opportunity. Quickly throwing four batterangs, he jumped back, watching as they forced Karlo to his knees. 

"Joker! What the fuck do you think you are doing!?" He yelled as he stretched his mucky skin out to grab the clown, but Jack dodged easily, watching as the poor attempt of grabbing him collided into the wall. Clayface hissed at the connection, and Jack quickly began to detain him with items around the place. He dodged punches along the way, but that was easy. After all, Clayface had never been quick during battle. The big lug was no match in speed for the nimble Joker.

He yanked the items around Basil as hard as he could, watching him fall to his knees, unable to stretch himself out of the restraints. "Done! Easy peasy!" Jack happily boasted, making sure Clayface was restrained against one of the closest walls. "Why are you doing this, Joker? What's the motive?" Basil spat from where he was sat, seemingly not putting up too much fight against the restraints. Jack quirked an eyebrow at that, wondering why that was. 

"Well, Karlo, dearie..." Jack began as he made his way to unbind all of the hostages. He ignored the slight guilt he felt as they naturally flinched away from his touch. "I am working on reforming myself. And Batsy is currently out of...commission, so I was volunteered to do the job!" He spoke as he freed the last person. The woman he had just untied stood wearily, before running to her child who she had been separated from.

It made Jack's heart squeeze. Just how many times had he done that himself, separated a parent from their child? Though, mostly permanently. 

"The Joker, reforming?" Basil laughed. "That's the best joke I think you have told"

"Oh, please. Don't insult my comedic wit!" Jack spat back, face splitting into a small grin. "For this is no joke"

"Uhm, excuse me?" One of the hostages spoke, and Jack turned his attention to them. It was a teenage boy, and Joker found himself mentally complimenting their split dyed green and black hair. Looked fucking awesome. "But what about the other guy?"

"Other guy?" Jack repeated, before suddenly realizing why Clayface wasn't putting up much of a fight. "Who else are you working with, Karlo, buddy?" 

Basil laughed, his chuckle turning into a small groan as Jack knocked his head back into the wall. "That wasn't a request for you to answer. Spill!" Jack threatened.

"Remember when we worked together, back at Arkham Asylum? What happened to back then?" Clayface reminisced, and Jack growled. "I get that your brain is clay mush, but please, surely you can't be that  stupid?" Jack taunted, revelling in the confusion laced on that ugly ass clay face.

"That was merely to get my Batsy away from me for a good hour. You were helpful, but do you really think that meant something? Don't make me laugh. I never liked you. Never even enjoyed your presence. Frankly, working with you was the most boring  time of my life!" Jack hummed, smirking at that dumbfounded expression. "Now. Don't think I won't be afraid to pummel the shit out of you for information. Who are you working with? Spill"

Clayface was silent for a moment, contemplating his options. "Black Mask. He will be at the top half of the mall, with other hostages"

"Good! Now wasn't that easy?" Jack huffed, pulling away from Clayface before turning to the hostages. "The door to the mall is still open. Escape quickly but quietly, try not to pull attention to yourselves. One of you tell the police that Clayface is awaiting arrest"

They didn't need to be told twice, scrambling to leave just as Jack had told them to.

Jack had to wait, for a moment, for someone from the GCPD to get to his location. He didn't like giving Basil props, but he was one slippery son of a bitch. Leaving him alone for only a few seconds could result in his escape.

"Jack" Jim spoke from the door, and Jack smiled. "Jimbo!" 

"You did great, Jack" Gordon spoke as he detained Clayface into cuffs able to actually keep him in. 

"Thanks, but I ain't done yet"

~~~

46:27:58

Jack managed to (somewhat accidentally) knock Black Mask out with a punch to the face, releasing all of the remaining hostages. He went to go back through the ventilation and escape back to the Batcave, before being stopped by Gordon. "Jack, before you go"

"Yeah?" 

"Vicki Vale. She wants to know if she can talk to you"

Jack hummed softly with confusion. Why would news reporters want to talk to him? Though, Vicki wasn't an ordinary reporter. She was known for always walking head first into danger just to get her reports. "Why?"

"The hostages outside, they explained how you were talking about reforming. I think she wants to get your side of that. This could be good for you, Jack. Get your name out there. Your new one" Jim spoke, and Jack contemplated that for a moment. "Okay"