Chapter 37

Once Harley was sure that Jack wasn't going to be pulling a stunt like that again, she had left with the command for Jack to call her later. He agreed, not wanting her to worry.

Bruce forced him to have a session with Doctor Bailey, while him and Alfred sorted something out. He had protested, not wanting to be alone. He was surprised, when Dick arrived by his side.

"I'll stay with you, Jack"

Jack held his hand through the whole thing, comforted to know that not only was he alright, but there for him.

Doctor Bailey left after an hour, promising to return tomorrow.

Still hand-in-hand, the boys made their way to the Batcave. "Thanks, kid"

"For what?" Dick asked, as they worked together to open the secret entrance. "I don't know. Being there, acting all tough after everything that happened. We haven't really had a chance to talk about it all, have we?"

"No, and you were going to throw it all away before we could"

Jack frowned, pulling Dick into a side embrace as they walked. "I'm sorry. I just thought that...if I was gone, everyone would stop hurting"

"No, Jack. If you were gone, everyone wouldn't stop hurting" Dick smiled, and Jack couldn't help but sigh, giving a hesitant one back. "Smart for your age, aren't you?"

"Dude, I'm 20!"

Jack giggled as they reached the cave. Alfred send a small smile their way, before continuing to rummage around. "My door is always open though, Jack. I get that because I'm younger it's a bit weird talking to me about these kinds of things, but I'm also neutral ground. Bruce is a worrywart, and Alfred will say whatever to make you happy. I'm impartial"

"Noted. Thanks, Dicky boy"

"No problem. Although, don't call me that again" They both chuckled, as Bruce met with them after just leaving the cell block.

"Axel and Jest are detained inside their respective cells, until I get any information I can get. For now, I'd try to avoid here, Jack" Bruce smiled, Jack giving a contemplative look down the cell blocks way. "Y-Yeah, okay" He nodded, an uncomfortable feeling pooling within his chest.

~~~~

Jack couldn't sleep, knowing he was only a few feet underneath him. He had managed to slip out of Bruce's arms without waking him, walking to wherever his feet took him. He was in front of Axel's cell before he knew it.

He hesitated, looking at the man sat wide awake on the cells bed. The glass was thick between them, and yet Jack felt right in his reach. "The fuck are you doing here?"

His words were venomous, and Jack sat himself down, cross legged. "Don't really know. Felt it was right to see you"

"Miss me, dolly?"

Maybe. Although fucking terrifying, the reminder of what he deserved was nice. A reminder that he shouldn't get used to the cushioned life. "Maybe. I don't know. How...have you been?"

 The question made Axel's brow quirk up. Analysing him, he sat himself down in the same position as Jack, parallel to him. The glass was the only thing separating them, and it made Jack's heart thump quicker at the knowledge that realistically, Axel was only two feet away. "Fine, besides being locked up in here. You?"

Jack thought of what to answer with, sighing as his shoulders slumped. "I tried to kill myself today, after it all. Bats saved me"

"Saved you, or trapped you?"

Jack didn't know the answer to that. A silence befell them. It was oddly peaceful, despite the lingering anxiety at just who he was talking to. "Tell me about them"