Chapter 49

(Soz this chapter took so long, I've been cranking out drafts for my new book 'Innocent Ignorance' I plan to be updating as well after this one. If you like the vibe of this book, you might want to check that one out as well. 

This chapter is just pure fluff lmao, welcome to the Jack Wayne era! The next chapter will be the last, and I plan for it to be quite long as a final send-off, so expect a delay in the next chapter being posted.)

Jack bit his lip nervously, as Barbara fiddled with his tie. "You look great, Jack" She hummed, a soft smile on her face. "Thanks, Babs, but...are you sure this isn't too much?" The wedding suit he had chosen, he thought was beautiful. A white tuxedo with a dark green button up underneath to match his curls, bow-tie purple. His belt matched the green theme, little jester patterns adorned each button hole. His hair had been braided, Harley had insisted on it. And he had to admit, it looked cute.

Small tufts of hair at the front released to frame his face, the rest of his hair pulled back and parted into pigtail braids. Two little purple bows tied the ends, matching his bow-tie and adding personal touches. He was beyond nervous, even when Barbara reassured him. "Trust me, Jackie, if you knew just what Bruce has decided to wear then you'd feel less over the top"

He smiled at the nickname, she'd never called him that before. "Now I'm curious, has Brucie got himself all done up?" He asked, grinning at the roll of her eyes. "That and more! Alfred kept on trying to convince him to down-play it a bit, but I guess he knows you. He knew that if he didn't put in effort, he'd look underdressed compared to you"

Jack laughed at her answer, the excitement and nervousness swimming within his stomach. The door opened behind them, and Jack smiled as Harley walked in. "Sorry, Pud'. Ran into someone on the way. You've got a guest" She spoke, holding the door open as Scarecrow walked inside.

"Jonny? I didn't know you were coming!" He gasped, pulling the man into a bone-crushing hug which was quickly returned. "I wasn't planning to, honestly. Until a mutual friend convinced me to" Jonathan spoke, eyeing Harley. "I thought that even if I don't attend the afterparty, the vows were a must" He explained as Jack broke the hug. 

"I'm happy you're here, either way!" Jack smiled, bringing Harley over to the vanity so she could do his make-up. That was what she had left for, after all, her make-up bag. "God, it all feels so surreal. It feels like yesterday we were getting beaten up by the Bat, and now you're marrying him!" Harley gushed, sitting them both down as she prepared to begin the process. 

Barbara wheeled herself up to sit next to Harley, and Jonny took a seat next to Jack. "I'm sure Bruce is feeling the same way" Barb commented with a smile, before beginning to help Harley with ideas for the make-up look. The girls gossiped, as Jonathan began to speak to Jack. "Last time we spoke, you said things were going too fast. Is this not...well, fast?"

"I don't think so, no" Jack directed towards him, holding still as Harley began to apply. "I mean...Bats and I have been a thing forever. Maybe not officially, and maybe not a romantic thing, but we've always had eachother. It doesn't feel fast, to make it official. If anything, it makes me feel better about it all. Like I know what's happening now. The future doesn't feel as uncertain"

"Awww, that's adorable, Puddin'!" Harley gushed, gently applying a white concealer underneath his eyes, before going to the blush. "You two really do make an adorable couple." She added, Barbara nodding in agreement. "I haven't said this yet, Jack. But I'm grateful for you" Jack's eyes turned to Barbara, frowning in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"Well, you needed this change. But so did Bruce. So did our family. You didn't only change yourself, with your reformation, you changed our lives. We all had something to hate you for, and you helped us let it go, forgive you for it. Much like you learned to trust and love us, we learned to trust and love you. If Bruce was going to settle down, I'm glad he's settling with you"