Chapter 33

After Jack had bullied both Alfred and Damien into not telling Bruce the 'new words' the kid had learned, they made their way to the entrance. The star of the show was waiting for them at the doorway, and Jack didn't hesitate to break into a sprint.

Bruce laughed heartily, catching Jack within his arms to hold him close. "Brucieee!!!!!"

"Jack, you look gorgeous."

He flushed, flashing him a pearly smile before turning towards Harley. Well, to keep the illusion going, he was just going to have to introduce them, weren't he? "Bruce, this is Harleen"

"Charmed" She smiled, doing a small curtsey towards the billionaire. Bruce smiled, sending a side glance Jack's way before making his way over to her. "Pleasure to meet you. Jack has told me so much about you"

"Nothing too bad, I hope" She giggled, elbowing Jack in the side and erupting a laugh from him. "Nothing too awful to note, but I hope Jack has told you to behave tonight"

"Course my Puddin' has. He cares a lot about you, Brucie, and I'm not the kind of gal to ruin that for him. Trust me, I will be on my best behaviour"

 "See, Bruce? Nothing to worry about" Jack giggled, before grabbing Harley by the arm. The party started in half an hour, and guests would begin to show up any minuet. Jack just had a few things he wanted to show her, before then. "Come on, let me show you my room!"

They ran off with a giggle, and Bruce rolled his eyes at the childishness of it all. He turned to Alfred, a soft smile within his features. "I hope Harley didn't give you any trouble"

"No, Master Bruce, not at all. Though, you might want to know that a few extra words have been added to Damien's vocabulary"

Almost on cue, Damien spoke up. "Papa, they won't tell me what an ass is. Or a shit"

Bruce couldn't help the startled snort that left his lips, looking down at Damien with surprise.

~~~

"You're living the luxury, Pud'!" Harley gasped, taking in everything she could see. Even the obvious punch marks in the wall had been covered and painted over the same green as the walls. And his wardrobe was almost as big as their safehouse! Jack giggled at her gaping. "I know! It's so weird, going from living on the streets to all of this"

"A good weird though, surely. God, and the vanity!" She ran over with childish excitement, looking over the newly purchased make-up and skin care products littering the table. "This would have been worth a whole bank heist!" She yelled, as she held up the most expensive product.

Her attention went from one corner to the next, taking in all of the things she found. Afterwards, he brought her to the medical room. "Oh, Eddy...how's he doing?"

"Alfred says he's doing okay, and Bruce won't answer the question, but they both have these sad looks on their faces every time I bring it up. I act like I don't notice, but...I think they're wrong. They have to be. He'll be okay. I know he will"

"What's Bats said about it?"

Jack was slightly taken aback by the question, turning his head away from her. "I don't know. I didn't bother to ask him"

"Maybe it'd be worth doing that, Pud'. If Bruce and old Alfred wont be honest, he will be"

Jack...took that into consideration. That wasn't such a bad idea.

"I just might"

"Master Jack, Miss Harleen?" Alfred knocked softly, a sad smile on his face as he watched the two hover over Riddler. "Hey, Al" Jack hummed softly, turning to face him.

"Guests are starting to arrive. Master Bruce was asking for the both of you to join him"

"We can come back up here later, Honey." Harley smiled at Jack, and he returned it. "For now, though, we got a party to get to. And you're the star of the show!"

Jack snorted, as the both of them began to follow Alfred to the ballroom. "How am I the star?"

"Course you are! You think anyone goes to one of these boring ass parties just to see him? Nah, they wanna see who he brings!"

"If it's so boring, why'd you agree to come, huh?"

"Cuz I deserve a bit of expensive ass whine after all of the trouble I've gone through recently. Plus, I miss ya. And if I've got to hang around with some sleezy douchebags who are only looking for a cash grab from Brucie to make ya happy, well so be it"

Jack smiled softly, holding her hand to squeeze it tight. God, he loved her. He didn't think he did anything worth this amazing woman to stick by his side.

"I'm glad that Master Jack has a good friend by his side."

"Well, he couldn't find a better one even if he tried. Not even Bruce could top me"

Jack laughed softly at the irony. He wanted so badly to get that smart mouth wide open with surprise at knowing that Bruce Wayne was Batman. But he couldn't dream of telling her. Only wishful thinking.

"Jack!" Bruce smiled as soon as they entered the staircase before the ballroom. "You ready?"

"Of course, darling." Harley quirked a brow at his wording, but Jack paid it no mind. "Ready as I'll ever be"

"Doctor Bailey is already here. She told me she would be waiting in the corner, so you'd know where to find her"

Jack huffed, rolling his eyes. "Aaaand now the mood is gone. You really had to remind me she was here?"

"Yes, Jack. One of the rules, remember?"

"Yeah, yeah, I remember. Just don't remember caring"

"You cared enough to get dolled up for me"

Jack smirked. "Oh, Darling, You thought this was for you? Though I would love to say that was the case, I don't want to take credit where it isn't deserved. I just wanted to get a good reaction." His tone was cocky, and Bruce found himself pulling Jack closer. "Oh, really?"

"Yes, Brucie! I don't want them to remember me as another one of Bruce Wayne's whores. I'm fucking special, and I want them to see as such"

Bruce cracked into a grin, leaving a small kiss against Jack's cheek. "Well, you did a fucking spectacular job"

"Ahem..." Jack flushed as Alfred cleared his throat. Both men pulled away, turning to look at Alfred and Harley who had been stood there the whole time. Jack let out a nervous giggle. "Sorry, Al!"

"Not a problem, Jack. Over the years, I've seen much worse"

"OMG! You have to tell me all the details!"

"Later" Bruce chuckled. "For now, I want to introduce you to my guests"

"Right! Sorry!" Jack giggled, taking Bruce's hand into his own. "I'm ready. Promise!"