Chapter 23

37:21:57

It had only been a few hours, but Jack was currently on every headline. After all, it wasn't often a known criminal of Gotham admitted to be in the process of reforming. Let alone The Joker, one of their most destructive and unpredictable.

Doctor Bailey had called him soon after the broadcast, congratulating him on the step forward. She seemed so genuinely happy for him, he had smiled. Had thanked her and they had talked about scheduling his next appointment. Alfred and Barbara practically tackled him with their praise and admiration, but all of the positivity didn't really register much for him.

No, his mind was pre-occupied with the plan.

 He had proven himself. He was ready to take on Harvey, to save the day, but the anxiety wouldn't stop bubbling inside of him. Right now, he was waiting at the docks for two people to meet with him.

"So... Jack, huh?" That silky voice spoke from behind him, and he turned around to face them. Poison Ivy and Catwoman stood side by side, both looking at him incredulously. "Honestly, I didn't think it would have been possible to cure you" Ivy teased, though her eyes were fiery, showing her distaste for him.

"Cure? Please, I wouldn't go that far" Jack rolled his eyes, before smiling at the girls. "We still up for the plan?"

"Yes, but to reiterate, we're only doing this for Harley and Batman. Not you" Selina spoke, fiddling with her gloved nails aimlessly. "As you have said, more than enough times" Jack sighed, running a hand through his hair to ground himself. "The plan goes forth in four hours. Remember, you're both on rescuing duty after we've taken out the henchmen. Now, I've gotten a little tip from someone that Harvey has partnered up with penguin. If they are ever tipped off that we are raiding the building, this plan will fail and things will get very ugly very quickly. We got to be stealthy, quick, to the point"

"How will we make sure Ozzy isn't tipped of the raid?" Pamela asked, perching herself on a close wooden crate. "Batsy has this weird communications jammer thingymabob. It's affective, but quite noisy. We only turn it on if we need to. We don't want Harvey's men to know we are there until it's time"

"Okay, sounds sufficient enough" Selina nodded to herself. "Anything else we need to know?"

"Yes. If all goes well, I'm going to call a friend in to sit out back. Eddy is in critical condition. He will need medical attention, and fast. They all probably do, but I'm told that Eddy may be at deaths door. As soon as you have the opportunity Selina, I want you to take him out to be seen to. You'll know what car"

Selina and Jack both shared a knowing look at that. Alfred. Of course she would know what car to look for, and why Pammy couldn't see. After all, Alfred was known to be Bruce Wayne's butler.

"Okay. I can do that"

"Good. I have a lot of things to check on before the four hours are up, so I'm going to take my leave. I will call if anything changes, but don't be afraid to call if need be"

"The Joker, telling us not to be afraid of him? Now I've heard it all" Poison Ivy chuckled to herself, rolling her eyes at Jack's pout. "Please, Jack. Don't take us so seriously. We can see you are truly changing, this isn't no joke of yours. We may not like you just yet, but we can learn to. We have your back"

"Yes. Although, still doing this for Batman"

"And still Harley" Ivy reiterated, forcing a small laugh out of Jack. "Yeah, yeah, I get it. Thanks, girls. I'll see you later"

~~~

33:20:49

The four hours were up, and it was time to begin the plan. Jack shook with his own nerves, not necessarily out of fear itself, but in fear of failing. He couldn't do that to Bruce, to Eddy, Harley, Dick, Tim. Fuck, he couldn't do it to anyone. He wasn't sure what Alfred would do if he was the cause of their death.

Probably isolate him. Jack didn't think he could handle that.

The moment it turned thirty two hours and twenty minuets left on the dot, he pulled out his phone. He called Eddy's other number, hearing it dial and breathing a sigh of relief that he could actually contact Harvey. It wasn't like the plan would fail without being able to, but it would make it easier. 

"J? To what do I owe this surprise?" Two-Face gleamed, voice condescending as he answered the call. "Shut up, Harv. You were right, okay? You win" Jack feigned defeat, acting dejected through his tone. "Oh, have I?"

"Yes. You win! I'm down the road. Where are we doing this trade?"

"Just come on down. The door will always be wide open for my favourite clown"

"Fine, whatever"

"Oh, and...Jack?" Jack rolled his eyes at the tease to Harvey's tone. Like he had caught Jack out, or something. When really, he was just following the exact script Jack had imagined. "Yeah, I heard about that. Due to your little stunt, my little trust in you has been broken. No tricks. The moment you reach the doors, all weapons are to be given to the first guard you see. Or the deal, my sweet, will be off on my end"

"...you done?" Jack spat, groaning to himself. "Yeah, fine. Just let them go. Unharmed"

"And the deal about Batman's identity, what about that?" 

"I...brought a folder with me. I knew you wouldn't believe me if I just spat out some random name. So I brought proof."

"Interesting. I'll be expecting you"

The call ended there, and Jack giggled to himself. So fucking predictable. 

"The plan on, then?" Selina asked from behind him, and he couldn't help but smirk. They really did have a chance at this. "Done and sealed"