Chapter 44

(So, after this chapter, things are finally gonna start going uphill! I'm so sad this books ending soon but its been so fun to write. Chapter 50 will be the last, and trust me you will all be getting some brain rotting fluff, as you all so rightfully voted for the happy ending lmao. I miiiight do an alternative chapter 51 about the sad ending I had planned, but I haven't fully decided yet)

Jack had a good cry on the way back, thinking of Harley's words as they drummed further and further into his skull. He had planned to meet Bruce at the hospital, appearances be damned, until he got a call from Alfred saying he had pulled some strings to get Bruce recovering at home.

He made his way back to Wayne Manor with a sprint in his steps, holding the folder close to his chest. He didn't know how this was all going to go. He was terrified for every outcome, nothing good could come of any of this. He still hadn't finished the last of his tears, as he got into the property. He could hear shuffling upstairs, shouts about Bruce being home.

He sighed, catching his own reflection in a hallway mirror. He stopped, turn to face himself for the first time in forever. His curls were prominent, hair longer and draping along his shoulders. The ends had faded into a muted blonde colour, and he swore he could see some grey between the strands. From stress, surely. The scars along his face had muted into a barely noticeable dent, white scaring atop white skin making it look natural. His eyelashes were more blonding than green anymore, probably from lack of exposure. Those eyes stared back at him, wide and full of emotion. It was the opposite from before, when they had been half lidded and careless. He was a different man, now. He wondered if his Brucie would change, if he was ever forced to hang up the cowl.

It was a weird thought to think. The Batman birthed The Joker, and in the same sense re-birthed Jack Napier. Who would Bruce Wayne be, if he had no mask to hide behind? He stared at his reflection until his tears ran dry, and even then for a bit longer. "Jack?" Said man looked to his side, finding a small Damien with blankets draped over his shoulders. Jack smiled, small and comforting, as he opened his arms. The small boy ran into them without a second thought, and Jack held them both there. Both staring into one reflection, one that Jack wasn't sure he recognized anymore.

"You left" Damien spoke, small and with a tiny hint of hurt. Jack frowned, unable to place the emotion that brought down his expression. He was a different man, indeed. "I'm sorry, Kid. I had to"

"Why?" He saw tears reflecting along the mirror, and gently wiped them away. He wished he hadn't of had to. "It was for your papa. Someone wanted to hurt him again, I needed to make sure they didn't"

He managed to pull himself away from the mirror eventually. He walked up the stairs with Damien still close in his arms, the kid not seeming to want to let go. He didn't mind. That was him, not long ago, not wanting to be alone. He could oblige that silent ask. 

His heart twisted, knowing he'd have to face the medical room again. Riddler's dead expression would forever be painted within his mind, forever etched into his last working retina. He didn't think he'd ever escape the constant reminders, but he had learned to cope with some. Maybe he could learn to accept the rest.

He walked inside, and was thankful the mess of Eddy's demise had been cleaned up. Instead lay his lover, also thankfully in a different bed, hooked up to many machines that made his heart leap into his throat. "Bruce..."

Said man opened his eyes, Jack hadn't realized he was awake, and he could see the hurt along that expression. "Jack...Damien"

Both rushed over, being careful not to hurt the man further as they pulled him into a hug. Damien cried, Bruce weakly held them both, Jack's lip trembled. "Barbara said you left. What happened?"