Chapter 28 - New Year

Lightbulb bounced in the passenger seat of Paintbrush's car, checking her phone now and then. They were both on their way to a New Year's party Bow and gang held at Purgatory Mansion every year. Although her last party experience there wasn't the best, she vowed to Paintbrush to not eat or drink anything there after their persistent begging.

"So," Paintbrush started, stopping the car at a red light, "you okay?"

Lightbulb turned to them, slightly caught off guard by the question, "Yeah? What do you mean?"

"Nothing. Just wanted to see how you were doing. You hadn't said anything this whole ride." Paintbrush shrugged and shook their head gently.

"I'm listening to the music!" She chirped in response, adjusting the volume just a bit louder. She bobbed her head to the beat as she rested back in the seat, enjoying the song, "It's one of my favorites!"

"It is?" Paintbrush asked, glancing at the radio screen, "I'll make a note of that, then."

"Awww, you're memorizing all of my favorite songs?" Lightbulb cooed, leaning over the center console and clasping her hands together. Paintbrush rolled their eyes and began driving again as the light turned green.

"Painty,~ that's so sweet!" Lightbulb continued, leaning closer to them. They clenched their steering wheel, their lips trembling from trying not to smile. They took a deep breath. "Lightbulb, I swear to god, I will slam on my brakes and make you fly out of this car."

"I'll take your hands off the steering wheel and make us run off the road," Lightbulb spat back playfully.

"I'll veer into the other lane and crash face-first into another car."

"I'll cover your face and make you lose control."

Paintbrush was quiet, then cursed under their breath. "Damnit, I'm out of ideas."

"Ha!" Lightbulb hollered, leaning back in her seat and intertwining her fingers behind her head, "Lightbulb Bright, you are too good."

Paintbrush reached over and smacked Lightbulb's cheek blindly, "More like too annoying."

"Hey!"

"'Hey' is for horses"

"Yeah, like you."

Their mouth dropped as they stared at the road, completely appalled. They scoffed dramatically, "I can't believe you." They seemed genuinely offended at Lightbulb's comment. She had to admit, their acting was impressive.

Paintbrush pulled their car onto the side of the driveway and put on the parking brake.

"Too bad we didn't get run over," Lightbulb started, hopping out of the car and waiting for Paintbrush. They closed their door and jogged over to her to catch up.

"Too bad a wheel didn't fall off a car and smash the windshield in and killed you."

"Too bad-" Lightbulb's insult was interrupted by someone calling their names.

She glanced towards the mansion and saw Fan waving his arm to grab their attention. "Lightbulb! Paintbrush! Come quick!" Lightbulb looked over to Paintbrush. They shrugged and started to run up the cracked driveway to the mansion patio where Fan was standing. Lightbulb followed suit.

"What is it, Fan?" Lightbulb questioned, skipping the two steps leading to the porch floor. He took a sip from his solo cup and led them inside, "Bow and Salt are having a competition on who can drink as much from the old bar as possible!"

She felt Paintbrush stiffen beside her as the memories of her hangover came back to her. "Oh, that's not," they glanced over to her as they entered, "a good idea..."