Chapter 12

Jordan

The clock needs to move faster, especially since I don't have as much to do today. I ran the program five times, just to look busy. Everything is good, all the bugs are worked out, we are ready for launch (on my end at least).
This is my second cup of coffee, hopefully Dad doesn't find out. Time to run the program a sixth time just to be sure and looky here, it works.

"Wow, already done?" Paolo's voice slices through me.

"Yes sir!, I mean Mr. Paolo."

"Just Paolo Jordan, you don't need to be formal with me."

I get up from my seat and motion for him to take my place. Watching him inspect my work is scary, he is the CEO of MDev US.

He points at the screen and looks up at me, "Can you run this color by someone in the design department, it's a little jarring."

I nod my head vigorously, "Yes sir, of course."

He smiles at me and pats my shoulder, "Relax kid."

I take a deep breath and smile nervously.

"Are you excited about Hamburg?"

I can't help but smile widely, "I am so honored sir and I hope I get to go."

Paolo gives me a confused look, "Hope?"

"Oh," I quickly tried to explain, "My Dad is a little overbearing sometimes, and I'm not sure how comfortable he will be with me alone on the other side of the world."

"Well I would be willing to help you talk to him."

I stand there a little slack jawed but try to maintain my composure.

"That's a great idea," Darlene says, " I'm having dinner with his family on Friday to discuss it with his father. "

"Perfect," Paolo slaps his hand on my desk.

"Perfect?" I ask with worry.

"I'll join the dinner, I'll even cook my world famous lasagna." Paolo waves his hands excitedly.

"That sounds great Paolo, right Jordan," Darlene lightly pushes me and I nod my head.

Paolo jumps up from the chair and smiles, "Great, Darlene, send me the info."

"You got it."

And Paolo walks off.

"Oh no, Darlene!"

Darlene waves her hand in the air like she is brushing my issues aside.

"Don't worry," she says in a calming voice, "The CEO coming over for dinner will show your Dad how much we value your work."

I sit in my chair and lean back, unable to move.

"Your Dad isn't as scary as you think kid," Darlene ruffles my hair and heads back to her desk.

I finally email the design department and try to focus on work. I wish the damn clock would slow down.

-------------------------------------------

I get into Darlene's car and stare out the window.
Her voice pulls me out of my head, "Stop freaking out about the dinner Jordan, this is a good thing."

I'm sure she is right, I just can't help but worry.

I get home and head inside for a quick shower and change. I don't want to be too formal so I do a white polo with slacks, nice but not too nice.
I check on h the car and head down stairs to see Moses looking so handsome with his hair slicked back and also in a white polo, we match.

"Hey," I can tell he is a little nervous by the sound of his voice.

I pull him in and stand on my toes kissing him on the lips.

"Hey, don't make me change my mind about no chaperones," my Dad shouts from the kitchen entry.

I turn and see him and Mr. Gonzalez standing there watching us.

"I promise we will be back home at a reasonable hour." I flash a smile at the both of them and watch my Dad roll his eyes.

"Nine thirty," my Dad says in his strict voice.

"Ten o'clock," Mr. Gonzalez says, then pushes my dad towards the kitchen.

Jared comes running out and jumps in my arms, "Bring me dessert or don't come back home," then he jumps out of my arms and runs back in the kitchen.

Moses wraps his arms around my waist and kisses my temple, "Your brothers are scarier than your Dad."

"I agree."

We get into the SUV and hold hands the whole drive.
I hope this is the perfect date. My first date. Exactly what I need to get my mind off work.

The driver switches the music to r&b love songs and I lay my head on Moses' shoulder.

The perfect night.