Chapter 19

Moses

We spent most of the night just sitting up chatting, none of us were interested in going back to sleep.
We played video games downstairs, ate junk food and ran around in the backyard when our Dads went to bed. I now wish I had siblings, it helps with loneliness.
Jared was the first to go down, then Jordan. I squeezed him tightly as I laid there trying to shut my eyes.

"My brother really likes you," Jason said in a whisper. I turned to see Jason watching us with a small smile on his face.

"So you're not going to break my kneecaps?"

Jason huffed out a laugh and smiled at me, "keep him happy and I won't have to."
Jason rolled over and I did the same.

I'm finally awake and still holding Jordan who is scrolling through his phone.
I kiss his temple and he turns to kiss my lips when we hear the distinctive sound of Mr. Joseph clearing his throat.

"Really Dad," he says in an annoyed tone as he sits up and leans against the couch.

Mr. Joseph laughs then throws the kitchen towel from his shoulder at Jordan.
"Come get some food, now." I can't tell if Mr. Joseph was being serious or joking but Jordan mimics him and slowly drags his body to stand.

"Let's go eat," Jordan reaches his hand to take mine and I shake my head and grab my phone.

"I was supposed to call my mom yesterday."

Jordan gives me a thumbs up and leaves for the kitchen and I go to all my unread messages from Mom. I've been ignoring her for a while now, she makes me feel insecure whenever we talk.
It's always about how I need her and how Dad doesn't know what he's doing, but at least Dad gives me space and lets me make decisions on my own.

™ Hey Mom, Dad said you want to talk.

I was going to call but I couldn't bring myself to do it. My phone rings, Mom is calling. I answer timidly and try to keep the conversation short.

"Hey... Mom."

"Hey?" She isn't happy either, "You haven't answered my calls or texts all week!"

I fidget with my blanket and try to come up with a good explanation, "I've been really busy, I meet with the coach tomorrow and I have tryouts."

"You don't need to worry about that anymore," she says in a rough stern tone, "I'm taking your Dad to court for full custody unless he sends you back home."

I feel my chest tighten, "What? No mom, you can't do that!"

Silence on the phone, I can hear her working up her tears, "You don't want to come home?"

I take a deep breath and try not to focus on the sound of her voice, "I'm excited about this new adventure, new team, new friends, new challenges."
I take a deep breath and think of what I can say to keep her from getting angry, "Mom, I think this move is good for me, and plus now you can focus on getting more clients without worrying about me."

Mom is still making sobbing noises on the line so I don't even know if she heard me.

"Your father isn't a good man Moses," my mom says between sobs, " If you knew the things he did...."

"He told me he cheated," I wasn't trying to sound so matter of fact about it but I think I came off uncaring.

"He told you?" Her sobbing suddenly stops, "He told you and you still want to live with him and his high school boyfriend?"

I am speechless, I can't think clearly.
"Dad cheated with Mr. Joseph? That's not possible."

"I knew it, see he didn't even tell you everything."

I try to focus on anything else, I don't even know what to do.
I hang up my phone and walk to the kitchen, everyone is laughing and eating waffles and eggs. My Dad and Mr. Joseph sit together and I see Mr. Joseph wipe away something from my Dad's cheek before playfully poking him.

"Are you sleeping together?" I can't stop the question from coming out, "The high school boyfriend you told me about right?" I direct my question at my Dad and he jumps up.

"Oh," Jason exclaims, "Mr. Gonzalez was the guy? The reason we don't talk to your parents?"

Mr. Joseph nods his head, "I thought it would be weird if you knew he was my ex."

Jordan takes a sip of his cranberry juice and shakes his head, "It's not a big deal Dad, unless you still have feelings for..."

"No!" My Dad shouts, " even though I wonder sometimes what life would be like if we were allowed to be together, I moved on years ago." My Dad gives me a reassuring look.

Mr. Joseph holds the ring on his finger and smiles, "And even though I am seeing someone right now, I am not fully ready to move on from Julie, she was perfectly made for me."

"Well even though we aren't ready to move on from Mom either, whenever you want to introduce us to Bryan, we are ready," Jason says with a smile and Jordan and Jared nod in agreement.

I sit beside Jordan and look around the table confused.

Jordan notices me and holds my hand, "Dad's bisexual, Mom was bi too so I guess the three of us got lucky to have them as our parents."

"So am I still the only person who doesn't like boys in this house?" Jared asks his Dad as he takes a bite of his waffle.

"Looks like it," Mr. Joseph replies as he taps Jared's forehead.

Everyone is at ease, my worries quickly settled.

"Dad," I say quietly looking over at him.

"Yeah bubs," He acknowledges me using a name he doesn't use anymore.

"I don't think I want to be around Mom for a while."
The table goes silent and everyone stares at me,
"She manipulates me, and I just don't want her to do that anymore."

"I'll look at lawyers tomorrow," my Dad goes back to his food and I start loading up my own plate.

Jordan places his hand on mine and I look up to his smiling face. I am happy here.