Chapter 14

Jordan

That song Friday comes to mind, the one everyone hates, and now I hate it too. Not Darlene though, she thinks it's 'camp' and sings it unironically .
"Help me pick out what to make for tonight," She says as she points at her computer screen.
I look and see a bunch of recipes for Italian food.

"Let me guess, because Paolo is bringing lasagna?"

She winks at me and laughs, "you're not the only one who wants a promotion."

We both laugh and I point to the simple spaghetti and meatballs.

"Jared isn't really a picky eater but you should still stick to something he knows."

Darlene nods and gives me a quick thanks so I head back to my desk. The design department sent me the new colors for the program and well, a whole new design so I continue working on the project.

After work Darlene and I make a quick stop at the supermarket and then we head to the house. Mr. Gonzalez and Moses are already there and helping my Dad and Jason prepare dinner. Jared jumps into Darlene's arms and tells her all about the job Dad took him on and I sneak a quick kiss with Moses.

"I'm literally your twin but I get greeted after your boyfriend." Jason says with a chuckle.

"I don't know you like that," I reply as I slap the back of his head.

"No rough housing in the kitchen!" Dad shouts as he pulls Jared off Darlene so she can start prepping her dinner contribution.
The place feels packed and filled with laughter and love, like when Mom was alive.

We used to cook dinner four days a week, taco Tuesday we go to El Rancho, Saturday we have pizza night and Sunday's was dinner at Grandma's, but she's gone now too.

It's like Mom's death was the end of everything fun for us.
"Yay ice cream!" Jared shouts as he watches me put the large tub in the freezer.

"It gets better," I say as I take the chocolate syrup and sprinkles from the bag.

Jared fakes a fainting spell and I smile as he pretends to struggle to stand back up.

"Someone's comatose," Jason shouts.

"Crash cart!" I yell at Dad.

Dad runs over and grabs Jared and shakes him playfully. Jared giggles loudly and flails around.

"Paging Dr. Julie Kaminski, we have signs of life," Dad freezes then puts Jared down.
The laughter stops, except for Jared and I realize he isn't wearing his hearing aids.

He looks around the room then asks "What's wrong?"

I sign to him, 'We just miss Mom.'

-----------------------------

Paolo arrives right before the plates are set and we all shuffle to the rarely used dinner table.
It all starts like a normal dinner, all the cooks who made the meal possible are complimented on their skills and a few, ' you must send me this recipe' float through the air.

Finally Paolo clasps his hands together to get to business.

"So Joseph, I'm sure you're wondering why Darlene and I wanted to have dinner with you."

My Dad smiles and nods as he fills Jareds plate with more spaghetti.
"Well I was suspicious when Darlene was the only guest, but I figure it must be huge since you joined us."

"Yes, it is huge," Darlene quickly says,"we are just so impressed with your son."

"Jordan's name is brought up often by the other execs," Paolo adds.

My Dad leans back and smiles, "and you need me to sign off on him traveling around the country doing demos?"

"Well traveling, yes, this country, no," Darlene does a nervous giggle and tries to hold my Dad's attention.

"Jordan," Dad turns to me and looks directly in my eyes, "what is going on?"

Paolo moves to say something but my Dad raises his hand to silence him.

"Well, there is a company management training program," I start nervously, "in order to be considered for management promotion you have to attend."

"Wow, that sounds great," Mr. Gonzalez says heartily.

"How long is the program?" My father asks sternly.

"Five months," I replied timidly.

"Five months, where?" Jason asks, gripping his fork tightly.

"Hamburg, Germany," I replied slowly.

Jason slams his fork on the table and stomps off slamming the backdoor as he heads outside. I look beside me at Moses and he is quietly pushing a meatball around his plate.

"You want to live in a hamburger?" Jared asks with a confused look, "I think my hearing aids need to charge."

I sign to him, "I have an opportunity to go to Germany for work, the town is called Hamburg."

His jaw drops and he sits back in his chair quietly.

"When would he leave?" My Dad turns to Darlene and Paolo.

Darlene perks up and gives my Dad her cheery tone, "Well, if we can get everything cleared we think early March." She turns to Paolo for confirmation and he nods.

My Dad taps his finger on the dinner table, "So you want to send a fifteen, soon to be sixteen year old, to live on his own in Europe?"

"No," Paolo quickly interrupts, "We will find him a host family, just like foreign exchange students.,"

"Only difference is he would have a full time job," Darlene adds.

My Dad leans back in his chair and closes his eyes then takes a deep breath, "I'll think about it."

He doesn't say anything else, just starts eating his meal again.

Paolo gives me a warm smile then turns to my Dad, "I will get you as much info as needed to help you make a decision. "