Chapter 13

Moses

The restaurant is small and intimate, with candle lights at every table. Jordan went to high school with the owner's son and was able to get not only a last minute table but all the stops. The waitress seated me in front of a bouquet of red roses that had a card with my name on it.
From Jordan to commemorate our first date.

"Is it cringy?" Jordan asks while fidgeting in his seat.

I shake my head and smile, " I love it. I've never gotten flowers before. "

Jordan nods his head and smiles, "Then I promise to make a habit of giving you flowers."

I feel the heat in my cheeks and can't help but cover my face.

The waitress hands us our menus and serves us a bottle of apple cider in champagne flutes. I just thought they were fancy glasses but she called them flutes.

I kinda freeze when I see the prices but Jordan offers to order for me if I'd prefer, I say yes.
I didn't know what wet age was before today, I try not to look at how much it all costs.

The restaurant is fancy, waiters help serve the table and the waitress waits to hear we are satisfied before leaving us to our meal.

"Is your friend helping you impress me?"

Jordan shrugs his shoulders, "Depends, are you impressed?"

I smile and nod before returning to my steak that slices like butter.

We talk about my old school, he tells me about his 'high school career'. He gives me some points on how to impress Coach Windsor and tells me stories about being a little kid team manager. Conversation flows easily for us to my surprise.

When I imagine Jordan I see an adult, with an important job and standing at the water fountain to pass the day away. The Jordan across from me is just a teen, like me.

"I really want to see that MMA movie that's coming out." He says between bites of his mashed potatoes and asparagus.

"Oh yeah, the one where he's a cop trying to catch the illegal drug ring."

Jordan points at me, " Yes, that one."

We set our second date and we haven't had dessert yet.

We share a tiramisu and talk about random stuff that comes to our minds and then he leans over the table and kisses me. We hear a loud squeal from the kitchen and see a tall slender man in a chef's hat trying to act natural at the bar.

"That's my friend Frank," Jordan waves at the chef and he waves back and blows a playful kiss at us then giggles and heads back to the kitchen.

"Was he on the basketball team?" I ask Jordan.

"No," he says with a chuckle, "Chemistry lab partner."

"Furniture stores, restaurants, you have good friends."

Jordan smiles wide, "Yes, I'm lucky."

We have a couple hours before we have to be home so we go for a walk through downtown holding hands finger laced with my bouquet gripped tightly.
We reach an empty bench by the river and cuddle on it enjoying the silence of the night.

"Was this a good date?" Jordan asks as he fidgets with his hands, "I've never been on a date before so..."

I lean in and we kiss under the night sky, for the first time uninterrupted.

-----------------------------------

We get out of the SUV and I walk him to his door with my arm around his waist. I lean in to kiss Jordan goodnight and the door pops open.

"I'm sure you two have kissed enough for the night," my Dad says as he steps outside.

"Goodnight Mr. Gonzalez," Jordan spits out.

"Goodnight Jordan, let's go Moses."

I squeeze Jordan's hand then I follow my Dad, "I had a great time."

"Me too," he calls back.

I hold my flowers tightly and make my way to our apartment. My Dad sits on the couch and smiles.

"I want to know everything."

"Everything?" I ask.

"Yes, tell me every single thing," he says as he pulls me down on the couch.

I feel myself getting excited and realize something, "Oh my gosh, are we going to do each other's nails while we talk boys?"

"If that's what you want we can go buy the supplies," he jokes, "are you uncomfortable talking about boys with me?"

"No!" I say a little too loud,"No, not now that I know your truth."

I tell my Dad all about my date, as we sit on the couch and laugh. I've never seen this side of my Dad before, it's like he's finally whole.