Chapter 20

Jordan

With school in session I get to see my brothers and Moses in the morning as we all head out.

Mr. Gonzalez and his lawyer were able to get Moses' Mom to agree to a custody agreement out of court. Moses said it's because the other option was him telling a judge about why he never wants to see her again. Moses will spend summer with her next year so that he can get the space he needs for now.
I'm happy about that, even though I feel guilty about being happy, but this way I get to be with Moses till I leave in March and he will be back by the time I get back so I won't have to wait too long for a reunion.

Three months together, my longest and only relationship.

Robert, Greg's brother, and I met at a cafe near my office. Greg's wedding is coming up so his brother and I are planning the final details for his two bachelor parties so that the best man can attend one. It sucks that I can't go to Vegas with everyone but at least I get to be a part of some things.

"Greg has some niche bands," Robert rifles through the plans of the first party.
I was able to book a local theater and get a couple of Greg's favorite grunge bands to perform.

"Now imagine being a ten year old kid being taken to dive bars to watch these guys."

Robert laughs at the memory I recalled and pats my shoulder, "Please put that story in your best man speech."

I shrug my shoulders and smile, "Maybe it's already in there."

"What is a toilet face?" Robert holds up the sheet to show me the band name.

I smile at Robert, "Their new stuff isn't as good."

Robert shakes his head, "Again, niche."

Once we agree on all the details we finish our lunch and say our goodbyes.

Aaron greets me as soon as I walk into the office with more paperwork to fill out for my temporary transfer to the Hamburg office, you would think all of this would be online for efficiency.
Even if I fill all this out I still have to take it home for Dad to sign since I can't sign off on anything without him.
We still don't know who will be my guardian while I'm in Germany and we need to get their paperwork in by December. I'm slightly stressed but Dad says everything will be fine.

----------------

Moses is shooting hoops with Darren and Kyle, his new friends on the basketball team. They usually get together after school and even though I know Moses isn't into them, I'm still a little jealous. He gets to hang out with them all day, and be a regular teen. It just reminds me even more about all the things I'm missing out on.

Moses runs over to greet me, sweat dripping down his face, he is so hot.

"Heads up, Bryan is inside with your Dad." Moses wipes his face with his shirt before kissing me on my forehead.
I lean into him and smile.

"I know we said we were ready to meet Mr. Bryan but I wasn't expecting two adult sleepovers a week," I put my hands around his waist and tip on my toes to kiss his lips.

"Awe!" Kyle shouts out.

"Give us a warning next time love birds," Darren jokes as he winks at us.

I leave Moses to hang with his friends and head inside.
My Dad and Mr. Bryan met at a group grief meeting. Bryan lost his husband to suicide and apparently just like Dad expected to just be a widower forever.
His daughter Talia likes the fact that she gets to be the only girl and the oldest, her Dad treats her like a princess.

Usually Talia doesn't join us often, too cool for sleepovers, but she seems more excited than usual to be here.

"Yay, he's home!" Talia shouts as soon as I step into the living room.

"You're happy to see me, why?" I look around the room at the smiling faces and Mr. Bryan squeezes Talia's cheek.

"See Jo, told you she can't keep a secret."

My Dad wraps his arm around Bryan's waist, still getting used to that, and winks at me.

"Okay Talia, you have the floor."
Before my Dad even stops talking Talia already dragged me to the couch to sit with her.

"Okay, so," Talia pauses for dramatic effect, "My trip to Italy got canceled because the gallery I was going to intern at had to drop a few international applicants."

My jaw dropped, Talia had been talking about that internship since we met, "I am so sorry!"

"Don't be," she quickly responds, " The gallery director was so impressed with my resume she sent it to her colleague in Hamburg Germany. "
Talia pauses again for dramatic effect.

"So, wait, I don't get it." I scratch my head trying to put everything together.

"I've found someone I trust to be your guardian while you're in Germany," Dad joins me on the couch and puts his arm around me.

"I will be going in February so we will meet there, and I don't leave till October so it all works in your time frame."
Talia's smile is really broad as she grabs my hand.

I reach in and hug her tightly, "Thanks, big sis."

Talia pushes me away and gives me a disgusted look, "Now don't act cute child," she jokes.

I turn to my Dad and hug him tightly, "Thanks Dad."

He hugs me tightly and kisses me on my temple, "Anything for you kid."