Getting kidnapped sucks. But then you fall in love.

Hutch sprang at me throwing me to the ground. My head bashed against the floor which was at least carpet and not wood. I struggled under him trying to get free and Delancy and Gretchen were trying to pry him off of me but he was so determined I was almost sure that nothing was going to stop him.

His fangs were so close to touching my neck I nearly freaked. I struggled harder, wriggling under him with all the strength I could. Then I felt him lift off of me and looked up surprised as Delancy wrapped her arms around him from behind but he kept on trying and trying until finally Gretchen knocked him unconscious and Delancy dropped him to the ground.

“Sorry about that” Delancy said. “I didn’t think he was attracted to sweet blood”

“It’s not just the specific vampires?” I asked.

She shook her head. “Half vampires are also attracted to sweet blood. On an increasingly dangerous risk. Most half vampires you have no idea are half vampires at all”

“That’s something I like to hear” I said getting up.

“I’ll make it up to you” Delancy said. She tossed me a magazine. “Circle the clothes you want, and I’ll buy them for you”

“Is that Stellar’s way of getting me a wardrobe?” I asked.

“Probably” She said. So while she and Gretchen went out to hunt. Because vampires did that obviously, I circled what I liked in the magazine. But inside I kept on thinking about freedom. Freedom I didn’t have. I never realized really how claustrophobic you get when you’re kidnapped.

After I finished I got up to do a little bit more investigating. I walked into Stellar’s room and closed the door behind me softly. It was dead silent as it had been all that morning. But until just now hadn’t I realized how scary that silence could really be. I walked over to look at myself in the mirror. My hair was a little bit of a mess due to fighting Stellar in an effortless escape and falling unconscious in the hallway. I looked into my blue eyes and noticed the sadness there. God, I hated Stellar. I really, truly did. Or at least as of right at this second. One day I would be nothing more and it would be his entire fault. I would be indoors for the rest of my life, and I would eventually lose a piece of myself. I saw a tear fall down my cheek and caught it before it slipped lower. I trapped it with my thumb then slid it away off to the side. I noticed then a notebook from in the mirror in his closet.

I walked over to the closet and pulled it out. On the cover was Diary of June. Who was June?

I opened it to see tiny gold cursive. I read the first entry.

Dear Diary, I don’t exactly know what to write in these few pages, since there is so much to say. Firstly, getting kidnapped was not something I’d planned. I know it sounds crazy, but I’ve fallen for him. Him being referred to as my kidnapper. At first I was of course mad and upset and anything else you can think of that would result destructively but then I started to become friends with him. Stellar. He’s everything to me. I swear the first time he looked me in the eyes, I mean, really looked, I was just taken away. His eyes are red, demon red. But it didn’t matter. Because as he was looking at me, throwing this huge fit in never being able to escape, something happened there. I don’t know what it was, but it was sure something. So after that, I started to get used to living with him. I even got used to his occasional drinking. From me, I mean. Not beer or anything. We started to have long conversations at night, by the television or at the table. We’d talk about anything. From his brother who’d died to what he was thinking about. I swear I have never met anyone so-

“What are you doing?”

I whipped around. It was Stellar. He was looking at me very seriously, as if he’d been hinted on what I was doing.

“N-nothing” I said. “I wasn’t doing anything, where’s Delancy?”

“She already left. What were you doing in my room?”

“I was-“

He looked down at the Journal in my hands. As soon as his eyes caught it, he tightened. In a second he walked over and tore it from my hands.

“I don’t want to ever catch you reading this again” He said.

“What are you talking about? Who’s Jane?” I asked.

“No one. She’s no one” He said. “I need you to leave my room. Now. I’ll make dinner”

“Dinner?”

“I brought Chicken”

“You remembered?”

He nodded. So I walked out, still curious about why he’d sort of freaked out on me about the book. Had he kidnapped someone before me and killed her?

Was I right about him killing me? Had I been right all along?