The Letter

Drowsy verdant eyes fluttered open to the dark gloom of the cupboard under the stairs. Shaking off the grogginess from the late night she'd had, Heather nudged her brother awake. Her internal alarm told her that they did not have the time for the previous morning's lassitude. Birthday aside, it would be just another typical day at Number 4 Privet Drive.

Settling into their morning routine, Heather efficiently prepared batter for blueberry pancakes while magicking some toast into the cupboard. Throughout her breakfast preparations, she continued to sneak way unnoticeable portions of food. She hardly had to strain herself at all, having had to do this for years already.

Hadrian entered the kitchen and took Heather's place while she stole into the bathroom. She quickly freshened up then went to retrieve the mail. As she approached the front door, however, she felt an odd awareness directed at a thick envelope.

'Why does that letter have magic?' Heather wondered as she picked it up. Her eyes widened when she saw that it was addressed to her. She suppressed her curiosity and magicked it to a hidden alcove in the cupboard. She hurried to bring the remaining stack to Uncle Vernon. She had dallied too much as it was.

Heather paid for the delay with a newly bruised cheek and ribs, but thankfully Hadrian was spared punishment. She passed the rest of the day in an almost-daze, trying - and failing - to put the letter out of her mind. She even missed the numerous worried glances her brother gave her when the Dursleys weren't paying attention.

~~~

"Okay, tell me what's wrong Heather. You've been out of it the whole day!" Hadrian demanded as soon as they were once again locked in their cupboard.

Heather gave him a chagrined look and apologised, "Sorry Rian. It's just, I received a letter-"

"A letter? Who's it from?" Hadrian cut in, looking sheepish at his sister's raised brow.

"A letter that has magic in it. I was just about to read it," Heather continued. She held her hand out and the letter flew from seemingly nowhere into her waiting palm.

Absentmindedly, Heather waved her hand and an orb of light floated into existence. Now that she could see the letter clearly, she noted a heavy wax seal on it depicting some sort of crest. Hesitantly, she broke the seal and took out the few pieces of very thick paper. Her eyes brightened as she read the letter out to Hadrian.

~~~

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore

(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc. Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Miss Potter,

We are pleased to inform that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl no later than 31 July.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress

~~~

So they would be attending Hogwarts after all. She hadn't been too sure, what with being abandoned to the Dursleys who passionately hated magic and anything abnormal. Looking up at Rian, Heather chuckled at his excited expression.

"You'll be going to Hogwarts! What about me? Do I get a letter too?"

Heather frowned lightly. "You will get your letter in two years. Wizards and witches get enrolled when they're eleven," she tried to put delicately.