Student's Bane

Rays from the sun streamed through the white lace curtains, providing the perfect gentle wake-up call on a summer day. Or it would have, had Heather not been up and running hours ago already. She had taken advantage of the cool morning weather to tend to the garden out back. The flowerbeds and herb garden were doing superbly; Dobby had outdone himself with the upkeep of the Nest while Hogwarts had been in session.

She took a quick but thorough shower to cleanse herself of the dirt and grime. Towelling her hair dry (drying charms only served to frizz it up), she contemplated today's schedule. The summer holidays had started just a week ago and Heather had delighted in evading the Headmaster's pleas to live in a warded safehouse or some such place. She scoffed internally at the memory. The Nest was plenty secure, thank you very much. She never took chances with Hadrian's safety.

They would be visiting the Burrow today, she recalled as she descended the stairs. Rian was probably ready to leave already. Sure enough, when she entered the sitting room where the fireplace was located, she saw her brother waiting impatiently by the floo.

"About time, Heather!" he called out.

"Good morning to you as well, Hadrian," she said wryly.

Looking abashed, he returned the greeting. "Come on! Let's go already."

"It's only been a week since you saw them last," she retorted. Nevertheless, she nodded at him to go on ahead. He almost always preceded her in the floo. All the better to catch her when she stumbled. Before she could leave herself, Dobby popped into the room.

"Mistress Heather!" the elf squeaked excitedly, "Little owl brought letters for yous and Master Hadrian!" Heather accepted the two envelopes and thanked Dobby who then returned to his duties. Glancing at the letters, she smirked and put them in her pockets. What luck that they were delivered today when she would be going to the Burrow. Bracing herself, she threw down the powder and yelled out, "The Burrow!"

Familiar and unwelcome disorientation greeted her before she was spit out of the Weasleys' fireplace. Used to the routine by now, she easily fell into her brother's waiting arms. It was pitiful how no one was even amused by her uncharacteristic clumsiness anymore - her flooing skills were that bad.

"Good morning, Heather and Hadrian! Lovely Sunday, isn't it?" Mr Weasley greeted. "The twins are out back and Ron's in his room."

Thanking the man politely, they separated to find their respective best friends. Heather went out into the backyard as Mr Weasley had indicated and found Fred and George de-gnoming the garden. They seemed to take way too much joy out of flinging the little pointy-headed creatures off the property.

"Hah, that was at least 33 feet!" Fred boasted, flexing his biceps demonstratively.

"Oh, come off it. That gnome was much scrawnier than mine and you know it!" George rebutted.

"I bet I could top that," Heather put in slyly.

"Heather-harp!" they exclaimed. "You're here!"

Fred then narrowed his eyes. "Wait, what did you say?"

"As if you could - we're beaters, love," George snorted.

"Willing to put your chocolate where your mouth is?" Heather challenged.

"I don't think that's-"

"-how it's said."

She shrugged. "Yeah, but I'd rather take your chocolate than your money. You guys always have the best." Narrowing her eyes, she asked, "So do we have a deal?"