Enemies Within Walls

"Thanks for doing this, guys," Heather said, forcing a smile.

"It's our pleasure, Heather," Hermione said gently, "We did promise to help, after all."

"Yeah, don't worry about it," Ginny added, waving her hand nonchalantly.

Withholding a sigh, Heather showed them the instructions she had written down in a notebook. It contained all her current research on the potion she was trying to develop to help her arms. The others were upstairs, going through duelling drills. Heather felt bad for pulling Hermione and Ginny from practice, but none of them had let her come brew alone.

They were right to do so, of course. The last time with the Wolfsbane she had been insanely lucky. A slight misstep could have ended up in a huge explosion.

Hadrian had set up a schedule of sorts for everyone to come help her in the lab. They all believed it was best for her to focus on finishing the potion rather than practice with them. And while she chafed at being made to feel like an invalid, she did agree that she would only be a burden to them as she was. Not that she said that aloud, for she'd surely be berated for it.

Still, it didn't stop her from feeling guilty about dedicating her time to this when there were much more important things to be worried about. Like finding the horcruxes and preparing to go against Riddle and his forces.

"Is there anything you don't understand?" she asked. This was only her first attempt at the potion and she was under no illusions it would succeed. However, it was a start.

Hermione's hand twitched in an aborted attempt to raise it. Heather had to stifle a smile when she saw it.

"Heather, could you explain step 3 to 6 to me? I am not quite familiar with this technique."

She had the entire recipe memorised, so she knew what Hermione was asking about. "That's called the Pendragon Manoeuvre. It's something used to incorporate two ingredients that would normally never be used together for fear of a negative reaction."

"The mooncalf fur and oleander?" Hermione deduced. "I've never seen that combination before. I didn't even know mooncalf fur was used in potions."

"It's not, usually," Heather admitted, "I can only think of one, and it's mostly obsolete now. The properties of the fur are very mild, much like the creatures themselves. However, they can be amplified greatly in certain circumstances."

"But it doesn't go well with oleander?" Ginny asked.

"Not at all," she said, grimacing, "The results would be...messy, to say the least. But I need both of them for this. I just know it. Hence the Pendragon."

"If it's possible to combine volatile ingredients like this, why don't people do it?" Hermione questioned.

"Because it's just easier to use more stable substitutes. The method to do it is just frustratingly convoluted and too much effort for most." The first few times she had tried out the manoeuvre, Severus had had to intervene. It was tricky and dangerous. "I'll be handling that part, don't worry."

Hermione looked a touch disappointed by that, however.

"I can teach it to you another time, if you want," she offered.

Her guess was correct, because Hermione eagerly accepted. Ginny didn't seem too interested, though Heather had expected that. Not everyone liked potions.

"Okay, so Ginny, you're alright with the ingredient prep?" she asked, "Anything you're not sure of?"

"Nope, I can do these. None of these need anything special done, right?"