Duelling Tactics

That Saturday saw all seven members of the Defender's Alliance gathered in the Den. They were currently discussing possible recruits, having subtly questioned them since school began. Heather was glad to see her brother's complexion much improved, though he still looked a mite knackered.

"Lee and the Gryffindor Quidditch team are definitely in," George confirmed, as Hermione jotted the names down.

Fred looked at Heather. "Don't worry, Angelina and the other girls won't be giving you any trouble."

Her mouth twitched as she was reminded of her little altercation with the Gryffindor chasers before the Yule Ball last year. The three girls had eventually apologised, albeit sullenly. Honestly, she had already put it out of her mind.

"Luna and Neville will agree," Ginny stated confidently. "Some of the Gryffindor girls in my year are likely to as well."

"Dean too. Seamus," Ron grimaced, "not so sure. He's kinda pissed at Hadrian for stirring up the thing with You-Know-Who. His mum almost withdrew him from school."

Next was her turn, but she had a question. "What, exactly, is the minimum age for the DA?" She knew many students from the younger years, courtesy of her unofficial study group.

They all automatically turned to Hadrian, deferring to him as the leader. "Well," he said, tapping his chin thoughtfully, "there shouldn't be one? Of course, the things we teach them will be scaled down if they're younger. They need to learn how to defend themselves too, since Umbridge," he sneered the name with disgust, "won't be teaching them. Obviously, we won't be sending first years out to battle or anything."

Heather hid her surprise at the utter loathing in Hadrian's tone when he mentioned that woman. It was justified, but she rarely saw him so hateful towards someone. Vernon Dursley was one. Voldemort was another. "Well, in that case, All the Slytherin first and second years will probably be receptive. A handful of third years too. Even some from the older years."

Ron made a face. "Malfoy and his goons? No way!"

Hermione scoffed. "They're not the only Slytherins in our year, you know."

"No, not Malfoy. While I might have considered him," she pointedly ignored the incredulous looks she got, "he idolises his father too much to try to break free of his influence. I was thinking more of Daphne Greengrass, Blaise Zabini and Tracey Davis."

"Are you sure so many Slytherins would be willing to join?" Ginny asked tentatively.

Heather nodded. "Positive. Not all of them support Voldemort. They just can't appear otherwise, or they'd be eaten alive by the ones who do. While not all of them are muggle sympathisers, they're also not anti-muggle fanatics."

"Well, if Heather says so, then we can trust her," Fred said, and that was that.

"How's the secrecy binding coming along?" Hermione asked, quill poised over her journal.

Heather brightened, pulling her knapsack over her lap to take something out. "I've got a contract finished. We can do it now. I created it so that the seven of us need to initiate it, then any following people just need to sign their full names on it." Looking at the book their secretary was writing in, she remembered something. "By the way, Hermione, have you secured those notes? I can teach you how to bind it to you so that only you can read it."

"Sure. After we do that contract then?"

"Right, so this contract will ensure that no one can divulge any information about the DA to anyone not already in it. The first warning is pretty benign. Just that your mind blanks out if you try to say or write down the information. If you try again, you will experience sharp pain of increasing severity in addition to the blanking out. This can escalate until the pain causes you to pass out. If anyone gets to that stage, we will be notified by the name on the contract glowing bright red."