Look Forward

Platform Nine and Three Quarters was just as Heather remembered it. Crowded with bustling families and their school-bound children, Hogwarts Express a shined a gleaming finish as it waited patiently to be filled. The people were unburdened by the weight of terror, though their eyes still held the shadows of war. The children, though, they were laughing, running, jumping – eagerly anticipating their journey ahead.

She smiled as she caught sight of her brother and his friends. Hadrian waved his whole arm to make himself more noticeable, as if she wasn't able to pick him out of a crowd with her eyes closed and hearing muffled.

Familiar arms wrapped around her in greeting, a greeting which she returned enthusiastically. It had been too long since she'd seen him. There had been much to do to get Hogwarts ready to start session again, and she'd stayed in the castle through the duration of it. Hadrian, however, had been hounded by the public ever since his 'triumphant victory' against Riddle and had holed himself in either the Nest or the Burrow. Even now she could feel the weight of numerous stares directed at him.

"Hey there, Rian." She straightened his collar, ignoring his weak protests. "Hi Ron, Hermione. How have you been?"

"Great, thanks for asking. I'm so very excited to be returning to Hogwarts! I heard that there were a few renovations made! Of course, I really really want to see the library now that its catalogue has been updated!" The girl was about vibrating on the spot, almost like she was holding back from attempting an apparation straight to the library. Which wouldn't be a good idea, because a renewing of the wards had been included in the changes made to the castle.

Heather smiled, amused. "A few rooms had to be completely overhauled because the cursebreakers found dark magic seeped into the walls. Some hallways may also be different than you're used to, so I'd be careful not to get lost. And yes, new books have been added to the library," Hermione squealed at the news, "while some more questionable ones have been removed, especially from the Restricted Section." A look passed between all of them – they knew which book in particular had been the aim of this venture.

"Well," Ron said, breaking the silence, "guess we won't be seeing you around much, huh, Mione?"

Hermione frowned with great offence. "What do you mean? It's our NEWT year! I already have our study plan mapped out! We have at least three two-hour sessions a week scheduled if we want to make sure we're on task, and..."

Behind Hermione, Ron mouthed 'six hours?' incredulously to Hadrian, who laughed silently at his friend.

"...of course this schedule covers only the essentials, but if you want to really push yourselves, I have an alternative one I'm created for myself," Hermione finished, beaming at her friends.

"Thank you, Hermione. You always keep us on track," Hadrian said as he nudged Ron.

"Yeah, thanks," Ron said, a little less eagerly.

Hermione seemed not to notice – or care for – Ron's reticence. "Oooh, I'm so excited!" she repeated.

"And how how're things with you, Ron?" Heather asked, smiling with amusement.

"Great, Kingsley's said that I'm already guaranteed a spot in the Auror programme after I graduate, so technically I don't even need to ace my exams," Ron said, muttering that last part lowly.

"You'll still be expected to attain the minimum requirements for entry, Ron," Hermione said in a way that sounded like they'd had this argument many times before.

"Okay," Hadrian interjected, "I'm sure you're going to do your work, right Ron? I think we should be getting onto the train already."

Honestly, those two never changed, even now that they were dating. Heather had to wonder if at least half the time they spent together was spent bickering.