chapter 15- flowers

"your two weeks?" my manager asks after i pull her aside to talk to her privately.

"yes," i say grimly with a nod.

"is anything wrong? you've been here for a while and i never expected this to come up so suddenly."

"no, there's just... a couple opportunities being thrown my way right now. i would be a fool not to take them. and unfortunately, i don't have time to work here and also take advantage of those opportunities."

little does she know that "opportunities" means parties, events, and pretending to be madly in love with the man that i hate.

she nods sadly, then pats my arm.

"well, you're welcome to come back any time. and if you ever need any letters of recommendation, you have my number."

i smile sadly. the fact that my manager is taking this so well is making this a lot harder.

"thank you. for everything."

we part ways and i go up to the front, seeing mr. and mrs. robinson sitting and sipping steaming coffees from mugs and their usual sunny spot next to the window. i smile at the two of them before walking over. they notice me approaching and look up at me before i pull up a chair to their table.

"hello, dear," mrs. robinson says sweetly.

"hi," i reply. "how are you guys?"

"we're doing well, but-"

"we can tell you're not," mr. robinson finishes for her.

"that's not what i was going to say!"

"that's exactly what you were going to say."

"how would you know that?"

"we've been married since the prehistoric age, kathleen. i know that's what you were going to say."

"you might look like a caveman that grew up with dinosaurs, but i most certainly don't."

"i mean, it's true i've been better," i say, chuckling at their fight.

"what's wrong?" mr. robinson asks.

"i was going to ask that," his wife scowls at him.

"you're proving my point from earlier."

"i put in my two weeks," i announce, ripping the band-aid off quickly. both of their faces fall, and their eyes go soft.

"what for?" mr. robinson asks.

"i just... i don't know. stuff has come up, and i need to take advantage of opportunities while i still can, you know? i can't balance everything at once, so i had to let go of something. and this was the only thing i could let go of."

"oh, honey..." mrs. robinson trails off, laying a warm hand on my knee. "that's understandable. you have to do what'll make you thrive and feel happy."

"but what if quitting doesn't make me happy? i like this job."

"but you like your other job more, don't you?"

"i-"

i stare at the couple, feeling absolutely dumbstruck. how'd she know this was about streaming?

"how did you..?"

"you talk about your movie-making job all the time," she replies, her blue eyes crinkling from her smile. "it makes you happy, which makes us happy."

"for the last time, she doesn't make movies. she makes videos. they're on youtube and that purple app. our grandson, jacob, has that app, he told us about it, remember?" mr. robinson says.