Chapter three: The closet (part 1)

-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽
It was a month later and y/n and Regulus had started a prank war between the two of them. At least two pranks happened a week.
It started with y/n 'accidentally' checking out all of the books that Regulus needed for his herbology essay. Then Regulus cast a spell to make y/n's quill write in invisible ink. It continued as 'light hearted' pranks done in anger.
They kept their patrols absolutely silent aside from a few snarky comments or insults.
It was Regulus' turn to prank y/n. She had replaced his wand with a fake replica. Y/n had a blast sitting next to him (unwillingly due to assigned seats) and watching him struggle to cast spells. That had given him unnecessary homework because the teacher thought he was falling behind.
"You're going to do what?" Caius asked.
"I'm going to cast a spell where her hair has flowers stuck in it that won't come out," Regulus explained for the fifth time to his friends.
"Regulus, what?" Evan was struggling to understand how this was even a prank. "That's like...sorry what?"
"She'll never see it coming, that's for sure," Caius sighed, knowing there was no use in trying to stop him.
Regulus cast the spell under his breath from across the dining hall at y/n. Immediately, y/n's hair had pink flowers embedded into it.
Sirius, who was sitting next to y/n, burst out laughing.
"Oh my god! You have a secret admirer!" Sirius asked.
"What! Who is it? Who did this?!" James jumped up, looking around the dining hall for the dreaded 'admirers who had cast the spell of y/n.
Whispers immersed and quickly word got to Regulus that people thought the prank was a secret admirer.
"Why would they think that?!" Regulus whisper shouted to his friends.
"Gee, I don't know, maybe because you basically gave her flowers?" Evan answered.
He stared across the hall, watching as y/n tried to shake the flowers from her hair but he had casted it so that they would stay all day. She looked up and made direct eye contact with him.
She mouthed a quick 'was this you?' with a confused look. Regulus felt his face get red and quickly looked away.
"So y/n, who do you think did this?" Sirius laughed at James's pissed off look.
"I mean, it could be anyone, honestly, basically the whole school is in love with me," Y/n rolled her eyes.
"You-you guys have been hanging out too much," Remus kneaded his eyebrows together. "We don't need another Sirius around,"
"Y/n, do you know who did this?" Lily asked.
Y/n saw Regulus get up from his table, face mad, and storm away.
"Uhm. No clue," she lied. "I should get going though,"
Y/n jumped up from her table and ran after him, intrigued to where he was going and why he was so mad.
When she got to the hallway, she saw a small flap of Regulus's clothes turn a corner.
She chased after him, always barely missing him. Left turn, right turn. Up those stairs. Down these.
Until she finally reached a dead end. There were classrooms on either side but nowhere to run from.
"Where is-" Y/n got cut off but a larger figure pulled her into one of the empty classrooms.
"Looking for me, weren't you Potter?" The voice said.
Y/n looked up and raised an eyebrow when she saw Regulus.
"Giving gifts now, are you, Black?" She mocked the way he spoke, motioning to her hair.
He seemed at a loss for words.
"So where were you going?" She asked him. "Obviously not this classroom,"
"No of your business," he spat.
"As a prefect, yes it is," y/n said, shoving her matching prefect badge in his face.
Before he could answer, they heard someone walking down the hall.
"Shit," Regulus pulled y/n into a nearby open closet and shut the door.
The classroom door opened and Severus Snape walked in.
"Snape?" Regulus whispered. "What is he doing?"
Y/n could feel his hot breath on her skin. It made her crawl. They were pressed up against each other, chest to chest, the only thing keeping him from crushing her was his arm holding him up.
Snape searched around, obviously looking for something. He started walking towards the closet.
"Shit, shit, shit," Regulus whispered.
"Why are you scared? I should be the one scared. You two are friends," y/n whispered back.
Regulus was about to retaliate but Severus got close enough where he would probably hear them. His hand was on the knob and about to turn it but thankfully he found whatever he was looking for on  the side counter.
Nodding in satisfaction, Severus walked out of the room, slamming the door behind him. Y/n let out a breath she didn't know she was holding and grabbed the knob of the closet.
"C'mon, open it up," Regulus got annoyed after a few seconds.
"I'm trying. It won't turn," Y/n grunted.
"Move, let me try," Regulus swatted her hand away from the door knob and tried to turn it. "It's locked,"
"Yeah, could've told you that," Y/n rolled her eyes.
"Oh, shut it," He returned the favor.
"How are we going to get out of here?" Y/n asked, more to herself but was willing to hear what Regulus had in mind.
"Give me your wand," Regulus demanded.
"Why?"
"To open the door," he put his hand out, expectantly.
"Why can't we use yours?"
"I don't have mine, I left it at breakfast,"
"Well, I don't have mine either," Y/n sassed.
"So we're-"
"Yeah,"
"Crap,"
-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽
Ten minutes passed before y/n broke the silence.
"Why were you scared of Snape?" She asked Regulus.
"I wasn't," he grumbled.
"You were," she argued. "You didn't want him to see you,"
"Yeah, no one would want to be seen with you,"
Y/n stuck her tongue out at him and he had to lean away so it wouldn't touch him.
"If you don't tell me, I'll tell the school that you were the one to do the flowers and you pulled me in here to confess your love," Y/n threatened.
"Fine," he sighed. "I don't particularly like his company. He's quite insufferable,"
That made y/n laugh.
"Wow, he must be bad if you think he's insufferable," y/n commented.
"Don't start Potter," he huffed.
"What do you think he was doing in here?"
"Probably making some stupid love potion for that Evans girl,"
Y/n leaned her weight on the door, trying to get more comfortable. Regulus followed in suit. They were even closer now. Their noses were almost touching and Regulus watched as y/n closed her eyes. They had never been this close to each other before. Not even on their nightly patrols as prefects. Regulus found it oddly fitting to be this close, not that he would say that.
Or would he?
"So I guess this would be a good time to resume our icebreaker questions," y/n had a half smile form on her face.
"Not at all," Regulus scowled.
"Then do you mind me asking a deep question?"
"I don't care,"
"Why do you hate me?" Y/n kept her eyes closed, just taking in his presence.
Regulus paused. He didn't hate her, he just didn't know how to act around her. It started back in their first year.
-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽
Regulus was a scared little first year, not sure what to do once he got on the Hogwarts express. He had wanted to follow his big brother but he knew his parents would be mad that he still idolized him.
So he went and found an empty cabin. Well, it wasn't empty, there was a small girl curled up in the corner, reading a book. She looked up at him with wide eyes as he sat down across from her. Straightening her posture, she put her book down.
"Hi, I'm y/n Potter," she held her hand out with a smile.
"Regulus Black," he responded, shaking her hand.
She had a strong handshake but a nice smile on her face, unlike the people he had been associated with his whole life.
She went back to reading her book, it was a book on magical creatures, Regulus remembered seeing her face light up when he asked who her favorite creature was.
Y/n was the sweetest person he had met. She cared about what he had to say and she really listened to him.
And to make it even better, she was a pureblood, his parents would definitely approve of their friendship. But just as he started planning out their future here at Hogwarts, she got sorted into Gryffindor. He saw her face light up with the same excitement as she went to sit down next to her brother.
What he didn't see was how her face dropped when she saw him get sorted into Slytherin. She was hoping for the same thing as him, for them to be best friends.
She thought that they could still be friends when she walked in to her first class and saw Regulus sitting in a seat with an empty spot next to him.
Regulus saw as she trotted over to him.
"What are you doing?" He asked her.
"Can't I sit next to you?" She looked confused.
"No, you're a filthy Gryffindor," he spat.
He watched as her face dropped and she went to sit next to another Gryffindor.
The whole first year, y/n would smile at him and try to talk to him but he would shut her down each time.
By their second year, y/n had given up on talking to him. This angered him even more. He wanted her attention to be on him, all the time. So he started casting stupid spells on her, at first she thought they were funny but then he took one too far.
Regulus could never forget the hurt and betrayed look on her face. She started pranking him back and by the end of the year, they were mortal enemies.
This continued on, year after year, until they ended up in that closet
-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽