Chapter Twenty-One: Dresses and Eggs

͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽
Y/n was staring at the golden egg that was mocking her across from her bed. A week had gone by and she still didn't know what it meant. Every time she opened it, an ear bursting scream would erupt. Her eardrums would feel like they were bleeding and she didn't know what to do with it. She and the other contestants, even Severus, had all tried to brainstorm about what they could do but so far, nothing had worked.
    Y/n was getting worried that they were all doomed. The second challenge was two weeks away and they still didn't have a clue.
    The two things that made it the worst was that every time she went outside, to think or to hang out with Regulus to get away from the crowds, there would be a deer standing right there, following her around. And the second thing was that y/n's parents and James were avoiding her.
    James claimed they were giving her space to think, but y/n wanted them to talk to her, she needed them to talk to her. The Rowles talked to her. They told her about the rest of her family, everyone back home. She bonded with her mother, Astrid, and talked about Regulus with her. Axel went on walks with her and Regulus in between classes. He told them about his life stories, about the odd people he had bet who ended up being the smartest people ever.
    Y/n loved Regulus. She loved how he understood just what she needed and when she needed it. It was like he could read her mind.
    He knew when they needed to be serious and study but he also made sure the atmosphere stayed light and fun. She missed their prefect patrols that had been stopped due to the tournament, seventh years had to patrol. He listened to her as she ranted about her parents and James. He made her feel loved.
    And her brothers, well, they did their best to make up for lost time. They studied together and she and Eliasson worked together to try and figure out how to open the egg.
    But James, whenever she went to sit with him at any of the meals, or talk to him during practice, he would get up and walk away, ignoring her. It hurt her. She didn't know what to do.
    "Hey, you wanna take a quick break and go shopping for a dress?" Lily scared y/n, peeking her head through the door.
    "A dress?" Y/n didn't understand.
    "For the Yule Ball, you idiot," she laughed, walking into the room.
    "James asked you?"
    "Yeah, at lunch, right after you left," she murmured. "But that's beside the point, you need to look fabulous as Hogwarts champion,"
    "Not a champion yet," y/n got pulled off of the bed by Lily.
    "Yes you are. Now let's go," She linked arms with y/n and pulled her all the way to Hogsmeade.
    There was a dress shop that had dresses in the windows that y/n had always admired but she never went into the store. When Lily pulled her into the small looking store, she saw that it wasn't as small as it seemed, it was huge on the inside. The walls of dresses went up hundreds of feet and stretched even further than that. There were dresses of every color and length and style, organized in every way possible.
    An older lady trotted over to the amazed looking girls. She had a kind face and gray hair that was piled on the top of her head, only being held by two large pins. Her dark face accentuated her piercing gray eyes. She had wrinkles around her eyes that made the girls know that she had smiled so much in her life that she would die one day a happy woman.
    "My name is Madam Pewster, How may I help you sweet girls today?" Her rich accent asked.
    "Hi! I'm Lily and this is y/n, we're looking for dresses for the Yule Ball," Lily said.
    "Ah yes," her accent slurred. "The Yule Ball. What colors are you thinking?"
    Y/n hadn't thought about it. Regulus's favorite color was green but she wasn't sure she wanted to do green. She wanted something that would make his jaw drop, make his eyes stay on her the whole night. She got pulled out of her thoughts as the store shifted and brought forward several dresses that were exactly what Lily had described.
    The one that she ended up choosing was a gorgeous green dress that had off the shoulder sleeves and white ribbons lacing up the back. When she tried it on, y/n just grinned at her, knowing that was the perfect dress for her friend.

 When she tried it on, y/n just grinned at her, knowing that was the perfect dress for her friend