Chapter 18: The first challenge (part one)

Sorry the tournament is so long, there's just SO much going on.
͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽
Y/n woke up the next morning, her conversations with Dumbledore and Regulus floating around. She needed to talk to Regulus but she had to prepare for the first challenge. She could worry about that later.
    "Ready to go to the library? You have about two hours," Riley asked y/n.
    "Yeah, let's go," she was already dressed for the tournament.
    As she walked the halls, she could feel the eyes of her peers locked on her. There were lots of Slytherins glaring at her, obviously because they wanted Severus to have the win, but everyone else just looked sympathetic. After all, y/n looked exhausted. She hadn't gotten any sleep between worrying about Regulus and studying.
    "Why can't I find anything in this stupid library!?" Y/n heard Camille yell when she walked in.
    "You have the Peruvian Vipertooth, right?" Y/n walked up to her.
    She nodded and y/n pulled a book out of her bag.
    "I took this out last night, it didn't have much on mine but I think there was a good amount on the Vipertooth," y/n handed her the book.
    Camille looked surprised but took it gratefully.
    "You are much kinder than the other Hogwarts contestant," she mumbled, walking away.
    Y/n smiled and sat down across from Riley.
    "Alright, what did you find last night?" She asked. "Because I could only find two accounts that were viable,"
    "Yeah, same, but I read one of the other accounts and it had some interesting things," y/n admitted.
    The pair talked about what they had learned and y/n figured out spells that would benefit her. With ten minutes to the challenge, the pair ran to the large tent set up in the forest for the task.
    "Thank you again for the help, Riley, I really appreciate it," y/n said.
    She nodded and went to go find her friends in the crowd. That reminded y/n of Regulus. Would he still be there? He probably hated her now.
    "Are you ready?" Eliasson came up to her.
    "Uh no," y/n said honestly. "Are you?"
    "No way," he smiled.
    First up was Severus against the Chinese Fireball. Every time he got close to the dragon, it would almost burn him alive. After about forty minutes of struggling, he cast a disillusionment charm on himself and got the egg.
    Then Eliasson. He was against the Ukrainian Ironbelly. Even touching a scale on its wing could petrify someone, which did not bode well for him. He was terrified to even step near the dragon.
    Thankfully, for him, the dragon was older and not as fast. But just as Eliasson grabbed the egg and held it up for the roaring crowd, the dragon batted him into the crowd with its wing.
    "He's alive!" Someone yelled. "Frozen, but alive!"
    That earned lots of cheering and a couple of laughs for the poor boy who was rushed off to the infirmary immediately to be brought back,
    Next was Camille against the Peruvian Vipertooth. Before going out, Camille drank a bottle of medicine that would hopefully prevent her from getting dragon pox. As soon as she stepped out, the dragon let out an extreme cloud of poison escaping from its mouth. When the cloud went away, Camille was shivering next to the egg, large dragon pox everywhere on her. She was carried out of there and taken to the infirmary.
    So far two had been hurt and one had taken up forty minutes. And those were with the easy dragons. Y/n had absolutely zero hope in getting first for this challenge.
    "And our final contestant! The lion hearted Y/n Potter!" The announcer cheered.
    The stadium erupted into cheers as y/n walked into the blazing light. When her eyes adjusted, she saw the dragon in front of her. Its wingspan could have easily been sixty feet. The dragon stared at y/n with loud, deep breaths, his purple eyes staring into her own.
    Y/n took a deep breath and raised her wand. The dragon's eyes narrowed and roared, causing her wand to fly from her hand. The crowd gasped and y/n took another deep breath.
    "Alright, I guess we're doing this the hard way," she huffed.
    She maintained eye contact, remembering what the books had said.
    'Remain eye contact. Whatever you do. Do NOT look away'
    "It looks as though the dragon has disarmed Miss Potter within the first minute!" The announcer announced.
    Yeah no flipping shit Sherlock.
    What would she do now? Fight the dragon with her bare hands? Nope! Y/n slowly found her way to the ground and sat cross legged.
    "It looks as though y/n is sitting down?"
    The crowd grumbled, sounding confused. What was she doing? The dragon roared again, the wind blowing y/n almost off the ground. She held her ground and kept her eyes open. The dragon stopped and let an explosion of fire at her. She held her ground, glad she had cast a fireproof spell on herself. That didn't stop the immense heat she was hit with. It almost knocked her out.
    Y/n stared at the dragon and its eyes became more dilated than normal. Y/n remembered in one of the books she had read, with the 'unreliable' sources.
    'If a Hebridean Black's eyes become dilated to the size of an orange, it means the dragon has allowed you to enter its mind. You can communicate with the dragon as long as you maintain eye contact. Just keep in mind, if you speak to the dragon, it will have full access to your mind. You will form an unbreakable connection. Always within reach of each other's minds'
    "Hello there" Y/n thought.
    It seemed that her plan worked, the dragon nodded at her and she heard a voice in her head.
    "Hello Ms. Y/n. Is this what you do with your free time? Torture helpless wild dragons?" The dragon responded.
    Suddenly, y/n's brain was flooded with memories. Not her own, but the dragons. Kai. The dragon's name was Kai.
    "Nope Kai. One time thing. Kinda forced to do it,"
    "I see. You wish to please your parents?"
    "Yeah,"
    "Which ones?" The dragon tilted its head.
    Y/n almost laughed at that. She wanted to make both sets proud. But she knew that wouldn't happen.
    'Miss y/n. Please help' y/n heard Kai say in her brain. 'I am stuck. I want to be free again!'
    "I will if you don't eat me," y/n said.
    It looked as though Kai rolled his eyes, y/n could really tell, but she went over and got the egg, maintaining eye contact. The crowd's cheers stopped when they saw her walk towards the dragon. Regulus wanted to scream at her to stop, but he knew she wouldn't be able to hear him. And even if she did, she wouldn't listen
    Euphemia grabbed her husband's arm, scared for her daughter's life. Regulus watched as y/n climbed the dragon's back, unlatching the chain around its neck. The crowd gasped around Regulus but he just grinned to himself. That was the y/n he loved.
    "Miss Potter is setting the dragon free!" The announcer yelled.
    Y/n slid off of the dragon's neck and placed her hand on his nose. He bowed to her before pushing off of the ground, flying away. Y/n ran into the small hallway with the egg and Regulus decided he needed to see her.
    "That is just proof that she is our daughter!" Astrid yelled at Euphemia. "Look at how she handled the dragon!"
    "What the hell are you talking about?" James stood behind his mother. "And shouldn't you be checking up on your own child?"
    "Oh? Your mother hasn't told you? Y/n IS our child!" Axel yelled.
    "You liar!" James lunged at Axel but Fleamont held him back.
    "We'll talk about this later," Fleamont glared at the Rowles.
    "Dad, what?"
    Regulus pushed by them and ran to go find y/n.
͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽-͓̽