chapter thirty-five;

YOU SLOWLY REALISE YOU WEREN'T MEANT TO SAVE THE WORLD, YOU WERE MEANT TO DESTROY IT !

7TH AUGUST 1995

IT WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT when she stood at the top of her house, standing on the edge of the roof. A chilly breeze blew over her face, gently blasting her hair back.

Her room was just below her feet, which made it easier to climb up there. A habit that developed since the order made themselves comfortable in the house. The silence soothed her headaches and the wind helped her relax more.

The meeting with the order ran through her head several times.

"How come heʹs stopped killing people?"Harry asked in the round, mostly looking to her since he was still a bit angry at Sirius for whatever argument they had earlier.

Athena had that conversation with them before.

Why did Voldemort stop killing people? What could possibly stop him from doing so? What was his thought process?

The kind of questions you'd have to ask a Slytherin to understand. Snape once told them at a meeting that Athena and Voldemort were very similar in some ways, another reason why they deemed her as their strategist despite her age and a few complains from some of the order.

"Because he doesnʹt want to draw attention to himself," Sirius was the one who answered anyway. "It would be dangerous for him. His comeback didnʹt come off quite the way he wanted it to, you see. He messed it up."

"Or rather, you messed it up for him," Lupin had a satisfied smile on his face, handing her a lemon flavoured biscuit when he noticed her tensed expression.

"How?" Harry asked, visibly perplexed.

"You werenʹt supposed to survive." Athena didn't look at him, playing around with the biscuit in her hand and ignoring his heated stare. "He was planning to kill you that night, after..."

She glanced up briefly. He was the only one who understood the end of her sentence.

Sirius looked between them with furrowed eyebrows, "Nobody apart from his Death Eaters was supposed to know heʹd come back. But you survived to bear witness."

"So, whatʹs the Order been doing?" the Wonder Cockroach asked, looking around at them all.

"Working as hard as we can to make sure Voldemort canʹt carry out his plans," Sirius replied, grabbing one of her biscuits.