Chapter 11

Unedited!

After Aida noticed these new feelings, she tried to distract herself. Aida excused herself from Myla and Mary, not wanting to sit around anymore at that point. She tried hiding in the kitchen with Marlow as long as she could, rolling dough, chopping veggies, peeling, plucking, etc. With Aida's focused determinism, however, she failed to notice Marlow observing her.

Marlow looked at her adopted daughter with concern but also with an understanding. Even though Marlow's face is unreadable, her eyes stare at her with a knowingness. Marlow didn't say anything to her, stop her, or make it known that she was observing her. She continued with her work but kept an eye on Aida as she could see the early workings of young adulthood. She knew Aida was hard-working, stayed out of trouble, and had one main friend, Lilith. Aida never really spent her time with boys around her age. If she ever interacted with them, it was only in passing. A young stable boy taking care of the horses or one of the servant's sons visiting occasionally, but nothing more. She knew Aida never ventured out more into pursuing someone of the opposite sex. She figured she was a late bloomer, and here it was: Aida had a crush. She knew these new feeling were confusing and new to Aida and therefore she wanted to see what Aida would do, how was she going to deal with these new found feelings. Marlow also wanted to see if it was the time or the place to approach Aida and to see if she needed a motherly advice or guidance.       

As Marlow continued her own thoughts and focus on Aida there was bustle down the hallway of the maids getting ready for the next rounds in the castle. At that moment Olive walked in, a young plump blonde girl that stays in one of the shared rooms with Aida. She picked up a pail of water near by and noticed Aida. 

"Hey Aida," She said with a smile. Aida looked up snapped out of her concentration. Marlow went back to looking and working on the task in front of her. She eased into her work so well that Aida hadn't still realized Marlow was even observing her a moment ago. 

"Hey," she said.

"Are you busy by chance?" Olive asked grabbing another pail of water. 

"Well," Aida looked down and noticed she shucked the last corn that was needed. 

"Aida I think we are going to be fine here you've done enough," Marlow stated and grabbed the now full bucket of corn that's ready to be cooked for the evening meals. Aida, seemed a little dazed mumbled an "okay" took off an apron and walked toward Olive. Olive gave her a big smile and began walking down the hallway with Aida following behind.

~~~~~~~~

I walked with Olive feeling a bit better and thinking that I got over whatever I had felt earlier back in Myla's room. 

"Do you want any help with that," I asked gesturing toward one of the pails of water that Olive was holding.

"Yes, thank you," She handed me one, "I'm so happy I saw you some of the girls in the upper wing couldn't find Lilith and I know you're one of the few that's up there since you're tending for the young Highness and all. I also know you help most of the rooms on that floor. Are you able to help out up there?"

"No problem, but where's Lilith?" Come to think of it I hadn't seen much of her today. 

"Haven't a clue I'm sure she's fine. She was probably put on a special task or helping the tailors." Olive said not really seemed to be concerned.

"Oh, do you know who was with her last?" I asked. 

"Well, I remember her doing her morning rounds with Faye I believe," Olive looked at me with a small closed smile.