Chapter 8

(Unedited!!)

................

Days have gone by since the market day and Everard's talk to Elias. Elias never stopped thinking about what Aida had said about talking to Elma. He finally wanted to talk to her, but he had no idea how to bring up the topic to speak to her. As if his concerns were heard, Elma had requested to see him, and he accepted.

The two sat awkwardly across one another with their tea in front of them, the steam still coming from it. Elma grabbed hers and began to drink while Elias's remained untouched.

"I was quite surprised that you asked to see me," Elma said, breaking the silence. Elma remained elegant and tall, while Elias was stiff and upright.

Elias cleared his throat, "Yes, I can imagine by how cold I had been to you." He started looking to the side, not looking at her. The two were in awkward silence once more.

"I wanted to apologize for how unfairly I treated you, but please understand that during the time of your arrival, a grievance was put upon my family." Elma looked at him, set her cup down, put her hands on her lap, and gave him her full attention.

"I felt as if my father had replaced her with you, as if she had never even existed," He continued, "I was confused and upset." He took a moment, "I was just a boy at the time who had lost his mother."

Elma took a moment to process Elias's words and to take heart with her next words.

"Elias, please understand that I respected your mother and had no intention of replacing her," She said, "I will never be the queen that she was, but I want to keep her legacy alive. I wanted to guide you and your brother to be the men that your mother would have wanted you two to be," She looked at Elias, trying to read his expression.

"Elias, your mother, would have been very proud of you as I have been proud of you," She smiled warmly. Elias looked at her with the side of his eyes and gave her a small smile.

"You have been a great mother to Myla, and you were the only one that had put a smile on my father's face since my mother's passing, and I thank you for that." Elma's heart was now full, knowing that she and Elias were now on common ground. 

"I also wanted to apologize for making you worry about Myla the other day. On taking her riding, I did not think anything of it and just wanted to spend time with her." He looked at Elma with worry.

"I appreciate the apology and I too would like to apologize. I felt that I was rash when I should know that you would never put your sister in danger. I worry for her safety especially if something where to happen such as the horse being spooked." She shamefully looked away with a hint of embarrassment.

"Thank you and I can understand," he said.

"I wanted to know," Elma began, "Why now? After all these years what compelled you to speak to me today?" 

"Someone gave me a wise outlook and I found myself to be foolish." He answered honestly.

"Well, whomever that may be I am in their debt," She smiled warmly at Elias.

He smiled but looked away shyly. He cleared his throat stood up from his seat, gave her a bow, and left the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~

After Elias's talk with Elma a few days later, King Everard and Elma left Westward, leaving Eldon and Farah to take care of the kingdom in their stead. Elias had not left for the training grounds but stayed within the castle, making preparations for it.

"Okay, we will see to it that your family is sent plenty of food for the winter; you need not worry," Farah said to an old farmer. His face beamed, and he thanked her and repeatedly bowed until he was guided out of the room.