Chapter 9

October 14th 2023
-
Marshall's POV

I follow Soph out of the bathroom and into the sitting room where I see her. She's sitting on the couch watching some movie with her back turned to us.

Man I'm fucking nervous right now. Maybe this was a mistake. I'm just gonna mess up everything in her life anyway. I should leave.

Just as I'm about to turn and head toward the door Sophia pulls me forward.

"Hey Ave, I got someone I want you to meet." Fuck it's too late now.

Ava turns to look in our direction and I lock eyes with her immediatley, we have the same eyes. Fuck that man, now I can see her properly we have the same everything. She's a female version of me, I don't even see Soph in her at all.

"Daddy?" She say with a huge smile plastered across her face. Why did I do this? I'm gonna screw her life up like I do everything else.

I realise I'm staring at her when Sophia knocks my arm. The fuck do I do now? Too much time has passed, she's five and I don't know her.

"Um, hey." I finally get out. Way to go Marshall. Fucking great, that's the best you can come up with?

Ava begins to run in my direction with her arms out, clearly wanting me to hug her.

I bend and lift her into my arms when she gets close enough. I feel like I'm gonna cry, I can't fucking cry, not here.

I look to my side and see Soph standing there with tears in her eyes and then notice Ava begin to sniffle.

I pull her back a little to look at her face and see tears streaming down. Please tell me they're happy tears?

"Hey, why're you cryin'?" I say softly.

"I though you hated me, you didn't want me." She says as she continues to sniffle.

I use the pad of my thumb to wipe a few tears from her eyes. "Maybe for a little but I'm here now ain't I?"

She nods and bury's her face into my neck as I go and sit on the couch as Sophia pulls up a chair opposite me.

"Hey Ave, why don't you go and get some of your presents, I'm sure Marsha- sorry, dad would love to see them." Soph says as Ava runs out of the room.

"I really can't believe you're actually here."

"Same." I say, offering her a smile. I've held so much hatred towards her but sitting opposite her right now makes it clear that I never stopped loving her.

Just as I'm about to speak again, Ava comes stumbling back into the room trying not to drop anything.

Both me and Soph get up and begin to take things off her whilst she just giggles at herself.

Ava walks back out of the room, I assume to get more things and I pick up a card that's sitting on the table.

Just as I'm about to open it, I notice a small photo that was underneath it. A photo of Sophia and me.

"I left it out earlier, sorry." Soph says as she scrambles to put the photo away.

"It's cool, really, it is. Look, can we talk? Not now but maybe later or another day when Ava ain't around? You don't have to say yes but there's some stuff that I need to get off my chest and I want to sa-"

"Marsh, you're rambling." Soph cuts me off with a smile. "You always ramble when you're nervous, you know that right?"

"Do I?"

"Yup. Later works for me, after Ave's gone bed?"

"Thank you."

Ava now runs in with a small box.

"Look daddy, mommy got me this necklace." Man kids are like the purest, sweetest things. I ain't been here for five years and she's callin' me dad. I ain't gonna complain though, I'd much rather this than her to hate me.

"Wow, that's so pretty." I say as I pit on a really excited voice.

"Are you staying for food? We were gonna order soon."

"Um, you'd have to ask mom about that." I notice Soph glance at me quickly before she turns her attention back to Ava.

"Please mommy, please. I want dad to stay." Ava begs.

"If that's what you want, besides me and dad need to talk anyway. What are you wanting to eat?" I couldn't be more thankful for Soph being so reasonable right now. If it were the other way round I'd of kicked my lame, deadbeat dad ass out.

"Taco Bell. Do you like Taco Bell? It's my favourite." Ava says as she turns to me.

"I do, it's mine too."

"I once saw your dad attempt to eat all 77 items on the menu in one day." Soph says as the three of us start to laugh.

"Did you do it?" Ava asks me.

"Yeah but I don't recommend."

"I've never seen a human look so sick." Soph says as she gets her phone out to make the order.

What the fuck have I been doing the past five years? I've missed out on so much...

A/N - I might not be able to update tomorrow but if not the next new chapter will be up on Monday.

As always, any feedback or suggestions are welcome.

~ Im 💕