Chapter 34

October 25th 2023
-
Marshall's POV

"Why didn't you just ask? You could of asked sooner. I would have said yes. We'd have our daughter and we could be our own little family. Why did it have to be this way?"

I hear her begin to sob as she grips my arm tighter. Fuck, this is all because of me.

"We could of had the fucking world Marsh. You know, I should hate you but I don't. I fu-fucking love you. You have to wake up, you just have to. For your children. For me. For us."

For us? Why the fuck would she ever want there to be an us after what I did?

She should want to kill me, not date me. She has every right to kill me. What I did to her, not only on the 17th but five years earlier is unforgivable.

I tore our family apart.

I hear her stutter and cry that she has to get away from me and decide then and there in that moment that whatever last bit of fight I have left in me, I need to use to wake up.

I need to put this right. I need the chance to say I'm sorry, whether she wants to hear it or not. I need the security of knowing my position in Ava's life is safe.

I hear the machines around me begin to beep faster as I try harder to open my eyes.

I hear the door swing open, the room obviously flooding with doctors and nurses.

"Mr Mathers?" I hear a female voice ask. "Mr Mathers? Can you hear me?" She asks again.

I use the last bit of energy in my exhausted body and finally manage to prise my eyes open.

The light from the room blinds me and I squint my eyes until they adjust to my surroundings.

I open my mouth to speak but nothing comes out. The female doctor who was talking to me a second ago seems ro realise and helps me take a sip of water, my arms still too painful to move.

After realising that everything is alright with me the other doctors and nurses leave the room, leaving me with just the one doctor.

"Its good to see you awake." She smiles as she places the water back down. "I'm Tanya, I've been helping treat Miss Whitely the past few days aswell. Seems like the two of you have had quite the week."

"Can I see her?" I ask, knowing I need to make this right. "Please?" If I'm going to jail then I at least want to have been given the chance to talk things out with her.

"I'm not so sure that's the best ideas sir." She answers.

"Please just as her."

"Very well." She says and leaves me alone in the room.

I rest my eyes briefly before I hear the door open again and see a weak, pale Sophia be wheeled into the room. They bring her to my bedside and leave once more.

"Soph-" I start before she silences me by holding her hand up.

Only now do I notice her holding something. A small box. A small, black, velvet box. The ring.

"I get to speak, not you. Firstly, I dropped the charges if thats what you're worried about."

"Thank you Soph." I say and breathe a sigh of relief. Man I thought my ass was headed straight to jail. This woman is too good.

"Secondly, why the fuck would you do this to yourself?"

"Guilt." I offer her a one word answer, too scared to tell her it was because I love her more than I ever thought possible.

Of course the guilt also plays a part. What fucker does even half the shit I've done?

"Thirdly, why the fuck would you do this to me?" She questions, her tears threatening to spill.

"I-I don't know Soph." I freeze up, unsure how to even talk to her.

I take a deep breathe, mentally preparing myself for the explaining I'm about to do...

A/N - next chapter later today.

As always, any feedback or suggestions are welcome.

~ Im 💕