Chapter 31

October 25th 2023
-
Sophia's POV

"Um. Dad slit his wrists." Hailie says, offering me no explanation...

My heart drops and I feel the colour drain from my face, a single tear slipping from my eye and rolling down my cheek.

"Wh-what?" I manage to get out. "Is he ok?"

I watch as the female doctor, I think she said her name was Tanya stands and walks over to us.

"Hopefully." She says offering a smile. "We're just waiting for him to wake up from his surgery."

I nod politely at her and wipe away another tear. He really attempted suicide. Was it because of me?

I look up to see two officers standing in the doorway.

"Miss Whitely?" I nod.

"I'm Ben, this is Tom. Glad to hear you're doing alright now. We just want to ask a few questions to help with our investigation, is that alright?"

"Thanks and yes, that's fine."

"Cool. So what exactly can you remember about the attack?" Tom asks me.

"Not much, I blacked out pretty quick but I remember he threw me against the wall and I tried to fight back but he was just too strong. He said something about me ruining his family and then he punched me and I can't remember anything else." I say, explaining the best I can.

"We do know he kicked her in the stomach several times aswell." James butts in and I realise Hailie is now in tears so I reach for her hand, holding it.

"Right. So, we're charging him for assult, attempted murder depending on what the court says. So you don't need to worry about yours or your daughters safety." Ben says.

A small part of my heart aches for him. I still love him, I don't know why but I do and knowing that he is just down the corridor after attempting suicide breaks me.

He's going to wake up, be arrested, go to prison, never see Ava or his daughters and his whole career, everything he's spent his life working for will be destroyed.

"We better get going, if you need anything from me, please call this number." Ben says, handing over a small card.

The two officers turn and leave the room.

I feel myself overcome with sadness, despite everything he did to me, Marshall wound up just as bad as me. I feel sorry knowing that I'll hopefully be able to move on with my life and he'll be locked away.

"Guys, could you please give us a minute?" Hailie says as the two doctors also get up and leave.

I watch as Hailie pulls a torn up piece of paper from her pocket.

"Dad wrote this before he slit his wrists. Um, there's a side dedicated to you. I know I shouldn't but I already have read it and I really think you should too Soph." She says with her hands shaking as she passes it over to me. "I'll give you a minute." She says and leaves me alone in my room.

I find the side addressed to me and begin to read.

Soph,
I'm sorry.
I know I've fucked up, I have my whole life and it appears I'm too great coward to face it, must be in the blood with my dad and all.

My heart aches for him once more as my mind floods with memories of our late night conversations and him confessing how big of a failure, how inferior he'd felt his whole life.

I don't really know what to say other than, I'm sorry. I loved you, I still do, always will. Thank you for being so fucking good to me. I don't even know if you'll ever get to read this but if you do, just remember I'm truly sorry. You were everything I ever wanted.

He was everything I ever wanted too. I wipe the tears from my eyes, he really means this, I know he does. He's sorry, I know because he never apologises, it takes a lot for him to do. He must have been so overcome with guilt.

If you pull through and get to read this, there's something you should know.
You probably won't want it after this, I don't blame you but I've kept it the past five years.
There's a ring in my office desk.
It's for you.

What? This is everything I ever wanted but its so fucked up, everything is fucked up. I think to myself as I sob quietly in my hospital bed, a tear dropping onto the page I'm reading from.

I was hoping I could marry you, I was gonna ask you the day you told me you were pregnant but I fucked up again.
I'd give you the ring myself but I obviously can't.
Anyway, I'd still like for you to have it.

He was really going to marry me? I remember a talk we had just a few weeks after we met. He asked me what my dreams for the future were and I told him I'd love to marry and have kids with the right person someday.

He told me he wasn't too keen on the idea of kids but could be open to it but he was disgusted at the idea of marriage again.

I forced myself to let go of both of those dreams over time as I realised that relationships were about sacrifice and I ultimately loved him too much to lose him over my dreams.

Its wrong but it crosses my mind that maybe, just maybe if I hadn't told him I was pregnant so soon that maybe he'd of proposed and never kicked me out. Maybe, we'd still be a happy couple with our little girl.

I'll love you always Soph.

I'll love you always too Marshall. No matter what, no matter how much I shouldn't, I always will.

Marshmallow (I still fucking hate that nickname)

I laughed at my old nickname, I used to love using it because it pissed him off so much, especially in front of his friends and family.

I stare down at the note before doing something I know is insanely stupid.

I reach and pick my phone up from the table beside me and type in the number on the card from Ben.

I press the call button and wait for an answer...

A/N - sophia's POV is back 🎉

I'm also excited for the next chapter. It probably won't even seem that emotional to you but I've started to write it and I'll be honest, I had a little cry 😂.

As always, any feedback or suggestions are welcome.

~ Im 💕