Chapter 30

October 25th 2023
-
Hailie's POV

I slept at the hospital overnight on a couch in the corner of Sophia's room, not the most comfortable but I couldn't leave her.

I sent Stevie and Alaina home to be with Ava after a long conversation about the contents of dads note.

I'm woken by someone shaking me lightly.

"Hailie? Wake up." I roll over and after rubbing my eyes I open them to see Tanya smiling at me.

"Dad? His surgery, how did it go?"

"They stopped the bleeding and now we just have to monitor him until he wakes up, whenever that may be." She smiles. "Anyway, Soph should be waking up soon. I just wanted to check with you if it was alright for me to stay in the room through any conversation you may have when she wakes, I'd just like to gauge if she may have any obvious problems from this whole thing."

"That's fine, do whatever you need. I know you guys have that whole patient confidentiality thing but my dads manager will probably get you to sign an NDA at some point, nothing against you, he just likes to keep all basis covered."

"Fine by me." She says and offers me her hand to help me up.

I hear a small cough come from the other side of the room and we turn to see Soph trying to sit up in her bed.

"Woah! Good morning, miss eager. You need to stay down, limit your movement. You've got stitches that haven't healed yet." Tanya chuckles whilst making her way over to the bed and helping Soph into a more comfortable position.

"I'm fine. I can move just fine." Soph huffs frustrated and I go and stand at her bedside.

"That must be the concussion talking." James announces his presence.

"Or the stubborness. Soph, if she says not to move then you don't move, you hear me?" I say with a harsher tone as I don't want her to do anything that could make her worse again.

"Ava?" She asks.

"She's fine, don't worry. She's with her sisters, damn, I still got to get used to saying stuff like that." I say with a smileand take note that James and Tanya have retreated to the couch I just slept on, giving us our space whilst also being in sight and hearing distance.

"I heard all your talks to me Hailie, it meant a lot that you were here and you took Ave in."

"You guys are family, I look out for family. You'll never get to escape me again." I say causing her to laugh but grab her side in pain.

"Are you ok?" I ask, overcome with concern.

"Fine." She says with a smile, clearly trying to hide the pain she's in.

"You wouldn't tell me if you weren't, would you?"

"Nope."

"See, I told you! It's stubborness, all the concussions doing is making it slightly worse." I say as I turn to face James and Tanya who laugh as I earn a very weak slap on my arm from Soph.

"Hey guys, the police will be here in a minute. They just want to ask a few questions, that's all. You should probably tell Sophia before they arrive Hailie." Jackie interrupts before closing the door behind her again.

"Tell me what?" Soph asks, worry now written all over her face.

She clearly didn't hear any of the conversation about dad yesterday.

"Um. Dad slit his wrists." I say, offering no explanation as I'm not too sure what to tell her.

I watch as she grows pale, a single tear slipping from her eye and rolling down her cheek...

A/N - I can't promise anything but I'm hoping to do daily chapters from now on if I get the chance.
The next chapter's an important one for Soph and Marshall's journey.

As always, any feedback or suggestions are welcome.

~ Im 💕