Chapter 24

October 24th 2023
-
Hailie's POV

After seeing her dad and grandparents last night Ava seemed to show some what of a normal childs behaviour but of course I have no idea what is normal for her as I've onky known her for a week.

It hurt to kick dad out yesterday, more than I thought it would. I still love him, of course I do, he's given me everything and I've admired him for as long as I can remember but I feel like I don't know him anymore. I feel like there has become this really fine line between love and hate and right now he's balancing right in the middle of it.

My fucked up family just somehow got even more fucked up and there's nothing I feel as though I can do to make it better.

I made a post earlier today, putting the podcast on hold for the forseeable future and called up my sponsers to let them know I'll be taking time away to focus on family.

Right now I'm sitting in the hospital waiting room on my own, I got called in again this morning.

I hear the doors swing open and look up to see Jackie and Dr Davies walking my way so I stand up to greet them.

"Hailie, how are you?" Jackie beams at me.

Bit too happy for a nurse treating somebody in Soph's condition. I think to myself before offering her a small smile.

"Doing as good as I can be. You?"

"We're both good thank you." James says, reffering to both himself and Jackie. "Can we got to the meeting room, to talk in private?"

I nod and follow the pair to the same room we were in just yesterday and take a seat opposite them.

"So, I've spoken to Jackie but I'd like to check with you too. Am I correct in saying that you may have been left alone to talk with Sophia yesterday?" James questions, an emotionless expression on his face, instantly worrying me.

"Yes. Oh God, did I hurt her or something?" I say as both fear and guilt set in. James and Jackie shake their heads.

"Don't look so worried sweetie." Jackie chuckles and reaches across the table, comfortingly holding my hand.

"Far from it, judging by her moniters, I noticed for the time you were in there her brain activity increased slightly. Were you talking with her?" James asks.

"A little yeah."

"Did you maybe notice anything as you spoke? Its just sometimes before she stopped responding, when Jackie would talk we'd maybe be able to notice basic reflexes or her pupils dilate."

Maybe I didn't imagine her squeezing my hand.

"I think I imagined it, when I left I swear I felt her squeeze my hand. I spoke about her daughter, Ava and I think it was then."

I notice a smile grace both Jackie and James' faces.

"Would you mind talking to her again if we went to see her? That way I can check her monitors right then and there."

"Of course, anything." I say, feeling a small but of hope.

I gather my things and rush to follow them to Soph's room...

A/N - I know this chapter is small but there will be a new one tomorrow so you don't have to wait too long.

As always, any feedback or suggestions are welcome.

~ Im 💕