Chapter 43

October 29th 2023
-
Sophia's POV

I jolted awake as my hospital rooms door swung open, crashing against the wall. In the darkness I could see the digital clock reading 11:29 pm and a figure making its way towards me.

Subconsciously I know that I'm in a hospital, its likely not a threat yet the fear gripping me in the moment has completley robbed me of my ability to scream.

I feel like I'm living a nightmare. Like the ones where you try to run but you can't move, you try to scream but you can't make noise. The ones where you can vaguely see what's happening but feel unable to respond in any way.

As the figure reaches my bedside it reaches up and turns the lamp on, illuminating the space.

"Marshall, wh- what the fuck?" I whisper shakily. I know I should be livid at him for what he said but for the moment, I only feel relief that its just him.

"Ha! You thought I was some kinda killer didn't you?" He questions me, finding himself highly amusing which only makes my irritation take over faster.

"Why the fuck are you here?" I bitterly question him. His face drops in realisation.

"Look, what I said Soph I don't think you took it the right way."

"How else was I meant to take it? 'I don't think I could put up with marrying someone like her'. What other ways is there to take that Marshall? Please, just go."

"Soph, please just hear me out." He pleads, alarm written all over his face.

"One minute." He stares blankly at me. "Times a-ticking."

"Fuck. I uh- I can't have people speculating shit about us publicly Sophia. I didn't mean I don't want to marry you, I just don't want people getting the wrong idea about me. You know thinkin' I've gone all soft."

"The wrong idea? So your fucking reputation is more important than me, more important than YOUR FUCKING DAUGHTER, OUR FAMILY! Give me a break Marshall. Do you know how humiliating that is for me? You going on tv and saying that?"

"Nobody fucking knows you anyway, get over yourself. GROW THE FUCK UP SOPH!" He screams, getting in my face.

I know Marshall and I know he's only being defensive right now because he's angry and frustrated, I know he doesn't really mean any of this but it doesn't stop it from hurting any less.

This isn't right. I shouldn't let him treat me like this, anger fueled or not.

"Sophia, is everything ok sweetheart?" Jackie says sticking her head into the room, most likely concerned by the shouting.

"Would you be so kind as to show Marshall to the exit?" His eyes burn into me.

"Of course, right this way dear."

"We're not done here, thanks though."

"Oh, we are done. Until you can learn to respect me, you don't get to talk to me unless it directly concerns our daughter." I sarcasticallt smile at him.

"I ain't said we're done here."

"Sir, I'm sorry but if Sophia wants you to leave then you must do so, otherwise security must be called. The safety of our patients is top priority." Jackie jumps in, looking slightly nervous.

Marshall stays put, looking more and more aggrivated. Fear begins to creep over me as I start to get flashbacks of the day he attacked me.

"Sir-" Jackie begins to speak again, noticing my clear distress. "Sir I will call secur-"

Before she can finish my doctor's James and Tanya burst into the room.

"Listen here jackass, if Sophia wants you to leave then you fucking leave. After what you did, you're lucky you're even allowed withing a hundred feet of her, not to mention the fact you should be locked up but she's too kind for that. So respectfully, get lost." Tanya flies off at him as James makes his way over to me, placing his hand on my arm, rubbing comfortingly.

"AY, GET THE FUCK OFF HER MAN! THAT'S MY GIRL!" Marshall shouts at James as Paul comes running into the room.

"WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON IN HERE?" He shouts, causing Marshall to freeze as he slowly begins to turn towards him.

"Sorry, who are you?" Tanya asks politely, a stark contrast to how she was just speaking to Marshall.

"His manager and close friend." Paul says gesturing towards Marshall. "What's going on?"

"This man is refusing to leave after our patient requested he do so. He is becoming verbally aggressive towards myself, my colleagues and my patient." James explains, still comforting me despite Marshall's threats.

Paul sighs, dragging his hands over his face.

"Soph, you good?" He asks, I nod to answer. "Come on." He says as he forcibly grabs hold of Marshall arm, beginning to drag him out of the room.

"I'll have all your jobs. You don't get to speak to me that way." Marshall says calmly, the eye of the storm, Paul will get an earful very soon.

"I'm sorry about this and don't worry, your jobs are safe. Mr Tetchy here is full of empty threats." Paul says, clearly trying to surpress a laugh as he knows he's only provoking Marshall more for their expected arguement later.

After they've left, the tears finally flow as James wraps his arms around me.

"I'm so- so sorry." I get out through my tears.

"You've nothing to be sorry about sweetheart." Jackie says.

"Thank you guys, for everything." I then turn to Tanya. "That was really badass, thanks."

"Hey, somebody has to tell him what they think sometimes right? Can't let him think he can walk all over people just because he's famous. We got to support eachother, I got your back girl." She says before leaving the room.

"Is there anything more I can do for you sweetie?" Jackie asks, coming to stand beside me.

"Take him off the visitor list, I don't want him coming back here. Please." She nods and lightly kisses my head.

"Consider it done. Please don't hesitate to call if you need me." She says before she too leaves the room.

James pulls away from he as he can tell I've now calmed down.

"You going to be ok if I leave now?" He questions.

"Mhm." I weakly smile at him.

"Same as Jackie said, you need me, you call me. Alright?" I nod. "Sleep well." He says and leaves the room as I turn the lamp off.

I drift into a restless sleep, replaying Marshall's outburst over in my head...

A/N - blessing you with a longer chapter today.

As always, any feedback or suggestions are welcome.

~ Im 💕