❁Chapter 20❁

A challenge for the title means two wolves fighting for the position by defeating the other.

This defeat is not only on the battle field, but in existence as well. Meaning one have to kill the other to win the position and claim their place rightfully.

As cruel and unfair as it sounds, it is what it is. This is how rules have been regulated since the ancient times.

Everyone knows about this, and as the news about their Alpha Queen being challenged in a duel spreads around, a curtain of gloom and despair washes over the Black Pearl pack house.

Despite the calmness before the storm, each heart is actually raging with anticipation beneath the surface.

A chaos of emotions swiveling inside their uncertain minds, and no one could sleep.

Florian's heart wouldn't just stop the loud hammering in his chest as he hid himself far away in the woods, surrounding the pack house, near the lake they spent an evening at.

His knees tucked to his chest and chin resting atop as he occassionally sniffs. His hands shake and eyes constantly keep filling with tears.

He trusts Feather's strength, her bravery, her solid composure and determined senses, he trusts her with his eyes closed.

What he fears is the opponent's passion to win. The 'what if' that lingers in the thick air around them, the 'what if' that can cost him his mate's life.

"Stop thinking your pretty head too much."

His head snaps at the voice and he hastily wipes at his eyes. "W-when did you come?" His voice cracks, unable to hide the actual crack in his heart.

Taking a seat next to him on the soft, dewy grass, Feather rests her palms on the ground behind her, gazing up at the night sky. Silently admiring the beauty of the glistening moon.

"My dad always dreamed to see me as the Alpha Queen ever since I was a little kid." She begins in a warm and tender tone. "He was so damn proud that his first born is a daughter. Not one, but two at once." She chuckles dryly.

Florian turns his head so his cheek's resting atop his folded knees, eyes intently staring at the love of his life as he listens in on her story.

"Mom would always tell us the story of the night we were born. The happiness in dad's eyes, his cries while holding us for the first time, his proud face as he declared me as the next in line. Dad always believed in me, no matter how many times I failed.

His adamant belief and trust in me made me who I am today. Yes, I never had to fight and win my position as I was born leader, but the title of the Alpha Queen was given to me by the judgement done by my people.

They trust me, like dad did, they believe in me to have them meet their justice and happy endings, that's why I am the Alpha Queen."

She turns to the boy with moistured eyes and softly smiles, bringing her hand up to brush away his fallen tear drops.

"I'm not gonna give this title up, Flo. This title is mine to rein and rule, this is the trust of my people, and if I have to once again prove myself to them and remind them who I actually am, I will give my everything to do so. I promise you."

Florian blinks his eyes and more tears cascade down his tanned skin, he scoots himself closer to the Alpha and lies his head on her shoulder

Wrapping an around his shoulder, Feather kisses the top of his head.

"I trust you, Feather. More than life. But I fear what they might do in order to win." He voices his fears and shivers even at the thought of something happening to his mate.