Chapter 1: The Beginning Of It All

I have learned years ago to quit asking my Guardian Clarity about my life before I was given to her. She always evaded the question with something random or she'd just say in do time my child. I have no idea who my parents are nor will Clarity explain. She won't even answer the question as to why Charity and her look so similar. I want to say they're related but she denies all accusations. Her most favorite topic to ignore happens to be..... Who the dark gray eyed little boy was that I smashed with a door when I was only ten. I know she knows exactly who he is; yet she refuses to give answers. To me, my questions are harmless so why not give answers?

There's only one reason....

She's hiding something tremendous from me. I have a feeling it has to do with myself.

"Charity!" Clarity's voice booms, bringing me out of my thoughts. Being the curious child in the world, I glide down the hall and stop near the entrance of our small sitting room. With my back against the wall, I slow my breathing down to nonexistent. They both have an extraordinary senses. I have learned over time if I have shallow breaths, they don't know I'm even in the same room as them. Their hearing is phenomenal to say the least.

"What is this!?" Where did you get this?" Charity's voice echos in the room.

"Quiet before you drawn Ember's attention." Clarity snaps in a huff of annoyance.

"Like you screaming my name wouldn't?" Charity fires back with her own annoyance.

"Shut up. It says we must send her to the Empire Academy. If not, we'll be facing criminal charges. With the chances of a death penalty." Clarity's voice is barely a whisper.

I remember reading about the Empire Academy in school, right before I had been pulled from it. The same school I had hit the boy in the face with my classroom door. That was until Clarity pulled me from my school and put me on lockdown. My schooling afterwards was homeschooling. At my age back then, I loved interacting with other children. I was extremely hurt and beyond livid when she just pulled me from school. I was making friends and I had contact with other beings which helped me in a way. Being stuck in the same house, with the same walls, with my guardian twenty four seven dampened my mood. I absolutely hated it with all of my being.

"We can't let her go. It'll unravel everything I've done." Charity's voice is full of aggravation as she whispers.

"No matter our hard work." Clarity's pauses as if she's trying to sense me. I suck in a breath afraid she's caught me again. "The truth will come out in the end. Rather it be facing criminal charges and or possible death. Or if we let her attend at Empire Academy. The truth will unravel no matter what Charity. We lost." Charity's voice is below a whisper. If I didn't have excellent hearing, I wouldn't have heard a word she said.

"It's just... Forget it. I just pray she doesn't run into who shouldn't be named." Charity's voice rings out in defeat. Just as I turn around to disappear back down the small and dimly lit hall, I face plant Charity's creepy life-size statue of Hecate. The statue begins to teeter as my hands grab the odd object. Hecate's head bangs against the wall and all I can do is hold my breath for the second time in two minutes. I try to steady my racing heart, knowing my racing heartbeat is going to give me away.

"Ember?" Charity's voice rings out behind me, causing me to jump. My sudden jerking motions slams Hecate's head back into the wall.

"Fiddlesticks! Sorry! I bumped into Hecate." I rush out as I point to the creepy object beside me. "I wasn't paying attention." I finish rambling without saying a single lie.

My lips can't utter a single lie even if I tried. It's like I happened to be cursed or something. Charity and Clarity can keep all sorts of secrets. They can also lie straight to your face without blinking or feeling like a terrible person.

"Of course. You are always bumping into random objects." Charity responds with a soft smile featured on her face.

"You'll be attending Empire Academy. We'll be leaving out in the morning." Clarity says as she lets out a soft chuckle as she shakes her head.

"Yes ma'am." I answer with excitement laced in my words.

"You'll have to drink Charity's herbal tea before we leave." Clarity reminds me which causes a groan to escape my lips. I walk back to my room and belly flop my pillow.

It's not that I don't love her tea.... It is the fact that her tea causes me to be conked out during the ride. They do this every single time we go anywhere I've never been.

What if I don't like the Academy?

How will I find my way back home?

Questions swirl within my small head as every scenario bounces in my skull.

What if— is the last thing my subconscious says before I slip off into a deep sleep.