Ch 13: The Fatal Ending

I watch in horror as red eyes shine back at us. It's hit me that all these creatures are Lazarus's own people. They're going against their own Prince. Where is their loyalty? How does one person turn hundreds of the Prince's men against him? A spell? Magic? How?

Kaida takes a sharp right turn and head downwards some of the flock of demons and vampires. When she's close enough she takes a sharp turn again. Her tail flicks and her razor sharp scales saw right through their bodies. Her tail splashes their blood into the air with every flick or movement it makes.

"Ember what are you doing?" Lazarus roars in my head.

'Helping!" I snap back.

"Get off her back and get to safety damn it!" His yelling rattles my brain.

"No can do mate. It's us against this world." I defy him.

Kaida roars like she's in agreement with me. She takes flight yet again, higher than we currently are. She takes another sharp turn and lands meters away from Attor and Lazarus. I scale down her tail and run to Lazarus. I collide my body into his own.

"You're going to be the death of me Ember." Lazarus grumbles.

Right after his statement everyone else lands around us. Each one has a fight within their eyes. Ready to cause more bloodshed. The enemy is in front of us. We're each stick our heads around to see what they're doing. I stand behind Kaida's back left leg. Lazarus is behind Attor's back right leg. Kaida snaps her jaws, ready for an attack. Attor takes a step forward with Kaida right with him. With each step he takes, she's right beside him.

As if she's mated to him.

Lily springs forward, her swords ready for action. Krin grits his teeth and follows right behind her. He has his own swords out ready to play. Tali follows suit and takes her own movements. Her crossbow is out and she's ready to fire. Rhlox grumbles and is right by her side with his own crossbow out. I look over at Lazarus as he is already looking at me. With a nod of his head, we both push forward together. With my Angel Blades out, I trail behind my dragon. Kaida begins to trot faster. Attor right on her paws. Both break apart and each take a sharp turn. Attor takes the left and slams his tail into the front line of bodies. Kaida takes the right and barrels her tail into the rest of the front line. Their bodies crash into the ones behind them. I watch as Attor and Kaida begin to bite anyone's head that's around them. In their reaching range. Lily and Krin charge forward with their swords to their sides. Slicing through the row of creatures. Rhlox and Tali start firing their crossbows. Arrows litter the sky as Attor and Kaida light the sky up with their flames. Their flames scorch bodies around them.

Finally, Lazarus and I have made it to the front lines of our people. Lightening and fire shoot out of his palms again. The bolts hit each target he aimed for. Fire lick the skin of his enemies. I throw my Angel blades into skulls of my closest enemies. I grab my sword and get ready to attack again. With Lazarus by my side, I begin to slice through bodies as lightening bolts fly through more bodies. Each one dropping to the ground beneath them.

I know Kaida has to be worn out. She's been carrying our team, just like Lazarus and Attor have been. My bones ache from this war. My mentality is slowly wearing thin. It's only a matter of time before each of us fall to the ground from being drained mentally and physically. Kaida stops her flames and flicks her wing like she's swatting a fly. Bodies tumble into each other from her swat. Attor is now stomping down on anyone who's in front of him. Bullets zip through the air which are stopped by Attor's wings. I watch as the said bullets hit his wings and just slide off of him.

Bullet proof dragon?

Is that why Kaida kept me on her back for so long?

As my questions dance in my head, I get my answer when Kaida's right wing extends into the air, bullets and arrows just slide down her wing as if it's an invisible force.

I pull out my gun and begin to fire at anyone moving our direction. Each shot hits my targets. Some in the skull while same are in the hearts. Each shot is a kill shot. Meaning each one is dead as a door knob. Lazarus again, shoots flames from his palms. Flames dance around and the smell of burnt flesh enter my airway.

It feels like this war has been an all night excruciating experience. One I never want to experience again. A demon manages to break through Kaida and Attor's defenses. She charges at me with speed. Speed I didn't know a demon like her could have. I dig my boots into the ground and prepare for her impact. Just as her body is about to collide with my own, I lift my sword up and it impales into her chest. Her body flops to the grass. With my foot against her chest, I pull my sword back out.

My actions causes an uproar from the other side. Quickly we all get into our fighting stance. Enemies charge forward and we're outnumbered. Kaida and Attor are our main defense. They're crushing everyone that comes our way. Some are escaping their tactics. The ones that have managed to not get stepped on by gigantic dragons charge forward yet again.

Before I know it, I'm fight for my life. A vampire with uncanny speeds sends a powerful hit to my jaw. The force causes my head to snap back and my body to soar backwards. Two demons circle around my fallen frame. As one tries to stomp down on my frame, I roll to the right. With a swiping motion of my foot, I take their footing out from beneath them. With my blade, I stab down into their eye as I stand up. I throw my last blade into the second demons throat. All that's left is the vampire and I. Just as I'm ready to attack, Kaida's tail slices through her body.

Before anyone could celebrate destroying the enemies around us, Lazarus's roar is heard.

"Ember!"

His body is soaring in the air as he blocks me from an arrow. From behind him, I can see the arrow come through the back of his chest. I watch in horror as he remains lifeless on the ground before me. The war around us quiets down. As if feeling his son's death, Satan manifests before us all. With a swipe of his hand, a bright light flashes out of his hand. Once the light has dissipated, the remaining bodies of our enemies are burnt to a crispy wafer. My eyes travel back down to Lazarus's unmoving body.

Today is the day I learned soulmates hold the power to bring you back from the brinks of death or to tear your soul in half. Luckily enough for me, the Devil has no heart and that's who was waiting for me. A broken heart will continue to beat as it still wants the same person who has shattered it to begin with.

My shattered heart longs for my mate, the one who just died saving me. My soul has been stolen from my body as I look at his lifeless body.

What is a world without a mate?

A pointless one.