Ch 4: The Devil Himself

Lazarus's stormy eyes bore into my own. How he spotted me in this crowded room is a mystery yet again. The smirk that once was placed on his lips has now turned sour as he looks at me. Am I revolting? Is there something on my face? Why does his face always look as if he has bitten into an extremely sour warhead? Questions swirl in my head as he continues to stare deep into my soul. Lazarus breaks eye contact first as he rolls his eyes. I watch as he walks in my direction towards the back of the classroom. I scan the room to see what seat is available. As I look to my right I notice the seat next to me is the only open seat. If I could slam my head down onto my desk without be dramatic, I would. His black boots scuff against the floor as he stops in front of the empty seat. He lets out a huff of annoyance as he sits down in the chair. I continue to look forward at the professor.

"Do I offend you?" My voice is small as I twiddle with my thumbs

"More than you'll ever understand, Angel." He grunts out. His answer causes a sharp pain to pierce into my chest. It feels like the air in my lungs has been sucked out through a syringe. As a natural reaction, my right hand begins to rub circles on my chest to ease the pain. From my blurry peripheral, view I can Lazarus's face melts off his usual scowl and is now scrunch up into worry.

What the hell is he worried about?

"Are you okay?" He whispers next to me.

"Of course, just a minor ache. It'll go away like always." My voice is meek as I try to hide the excruciating pain.

"Like always?" He questions again, a little louder this time.

"It's nothing. It just started happening recently." I answer as I watch the professor write on the whiteboard. Before he can answer me, our professor begins to speak.

"Let's start off with a lesson on The Devil."

My mouth hangs open at her words. Why in the hell are we learning about this for? What cult am I forced to be in? Again, my thoughts are ended by a chorus of complaints.

"That's unfair!"

"Lazarus will ace this with no problem."

"Of course he will. It's his family after all."

"Utter bullshit Ms. Uriel."

"Favoritism at its finest."

"His family? That's his father you dumbass."

I am stunned at their words. I turn to the right and look over at Lazarus. He has a smug expression as students continue to complain.

"Enough! It's in our syllabus to learn this. It doesn't matter if the Spawn of Satan himself is in this class. You will listen, you will learn, and you will be quiet." Ms. Uriel snaps. Students words die within their mouths at her out burst.

"Someone give me some facts about Lucifer." She asks.

"Lucifer had once been a guardian cherubim." A voice in the front states.

"What is a guardian cherubim?" Ms. Uriel fires her next question.

"Lucifer.... Lazarus's father...." A male in the middle row snarls out his response. One look on our professor's face has him clamping his lips shut.

"Powerful and majestic angelic creatures who surround God's throne." A new voice adds.

"Great..." Ms. Uriel is interrupted rudely by the voice next to me.

"If you want to know about my father, I can just give you the whole biography on him. Hell, I'll even give you my family tree if needed." Lazarus snaps out in irritation.

"No need Morningstar. We have students that need to learn this." Her meek voice sounds out.

"Fine... But one person disrespect my father... I'll sever your head from your body and throw your ass in the Dungeons of Hell." He threatens with so much malice in his voice.

"We can't go beheading students Lazarus." She sternly interjects.

"I fucking can when it comes to my family." Lazarus's roars in anger.

"Can we calm down? How would your mate feels about this?" Ms. Uriel's voice trembles as she speaks.

"My mate doesn't even know what the hell she is. Do you think I care? No. She'll soon find out and she'll soon realize her mate is a heartless monster. So what's your point?" His voice is cold and eerie as he speaks. Another sudden shock of pain hits me in my aching chest. I turn to face the handsome devil beside me. His features are cold and dark. His eyes grow black as he bores into mine.

"Sorry Mate, but you'll learn... I'm far worse than my father. You'll never be able to change me. I don't have a heart that beats. Therefore, I have no love to give." His voice sounds like a demonic demon speaking. It sends chills down my spine as my chest continues to throb. I notice tattered black wings that have sprouted from his back.

The last thing I see is the bright lights from the ceiling. The only imagine playing in my unconscious brain is Lazarus's wings.