Ch 8: Something's Brewing & It Isn't The Witch's Tea

I wake up yet again from passing out. However, this time, I have woken up nested in white as snow feathers.

I literally have wings on my back!

As I glance at the feathers on the right side of me; the feathers from the left wing come around and slap me in my face.

Thankfully, I'm not allergic to feathers!

I have been staring at these wings for the last two hours. The first hour, I had been trying to adjust my eyes because I swore I was seeing things. The last hour, I've been trying to figure out how to get these wings back where they sprouted from. It's hard walking through this dorm room with giant wings fluttering behind me.

Lazarus!

Just like a light turning on, Lazarus comes to mind. He should be able to help me out. Right? I stand up from the middle of the main room's floor and head for my door. As I walk through the door, my wings hit the frame. Before I could turn any which way; they bend backwards with ease. In one big stride, I'm at Lazarus's door. My fist banging furiously against his door.

"For the love of everything Unholy! Hold the fuck on!" His voice sounds from behind the door. Still, my hand pounces on his door. As my hand comes back down for the hundredth time, the door opens and my fist collides with his face.

"Hell Ember! What the fuck?" He snarls.

"Sorry!" I rush out as I push myself and my new limbs around Lazarus. "But! I have fucking wings!" I scream out.

"Damn, goody too shoes of an Angel cusses." Lazarus jokes as he rubs his cheek.

"Not now! I have fucking wings. Help me!" I squeal out in horror.

"Of course you have wings Ember. You're a goddamned Angel for fuck's sake!" He yells out in annoyance.

"How do I put them away? Like make them vanish? Help. You're the only one I know with wings that's in arms reach!" I ramble in one breath.

"Slow down. It's not that serious. Just imagine your wings gone and they'll retreat back into your body. It's that simple." He deadpans.

"Seriously!" I growl out in frustration. That's the one thing I haven't done.

"Yes! What have you done to try to get them to retract?" He questions with his bushy brow raised.

"I done Abracadabra! And it didn't work!" I answer in embarrassment.

"What the hell was Abracadabra going to do for you?" He asks with a shocked expression.

"I don't know. I freaked out okay?" I whine. I imagine my body without the white fluffy snow like feathers. Slowly the wings disappear and retract back into my back. The sensation is like a small tickle. Yet, it still freaks me out.

"Simple like I said. So, now you need to practice how to make them appear and disappear. Along with flying." He states. Flying?! He wants me to fly! I have legs, I don't fly!

"Flying is a no for me. Anyways, who would even want to help me learn to fly?" I grunt in annoyance. I watch as Lazarus's upper lip twitches. Soon after, he has a devilish smirk on his face. "No. No. Definitely no." I rebuttal.

"We're mates after all. It wouldn't be kind of me to let you struggle with this." He responses with that devil eating grin. His arm quickly loops around my shoulders and before I can even protest; he's guiding me out to his balcony.

"Think of your wings Ember, they'll extend." Lazarus instructs. I have no idea why I'm listening to him nor do I know why I even came to him in the first place. I imagine my Snow White feathers and instantly my beautiful wings are visible. I look up at Lazarus and in his eyes you can see pride within them.

"Imagine yourself floating in the air." Lazarus orders a new instruction. I do again, as he says. My feet begin to lift off the balcony floor as I float in front of Lazarus. I watch as his devilish smile returns and before my eyes his darkened wings become visible. In a hurried motion, he's off his balcony and levitating in the air in front of me. Before I can mutter a single alphabet letter, he's already taking flight.

"Come on chicken." Lazarus calls out. I shake my head no in a hurry.

"You'll be find. If your wings fail you; I'll be here to catch you. It's the only way you'll learn to fly Ember." He says as he shakes his head. I repeat his words over in my head. Before mine and Lazarus's eyes, I begin to fly. My body goes over the railing right where Lazarus is gracefully floating in the air. The ground looks so much smaller than I expected it to be. Each plot of land has different shades of greens. The front pond looks like an ant hill from up here.

That's a long fall from here!

My wispy-tipped feather blades softly fan in the air under the sailor sky. As I admire my feathers, I begin to turn in a full circle. My actions cause Lazarus to burst into fits of laughter. This causes me to stop. It's laughter I haven't heard since we were little creatures. His laughter is coming from within his soul. I watch as his face crinkles as he laughs. The sight before me has my heart swelling with some unknown emotion. One that almost scares me. A roar cuts off Lazarus's laughter and soaring quickly towards us is his Dragon, Attor. Attor is a gigantic black dragon. He has red eyes, red claws, and his black scales has a hue of red dancing within them. When the light shines just right, he looks like a red dragon. His name means poison or venom. To me, it fits perfectly with his razor sharp teeth.

"Attor, what are you doing?" Lazarus's voice is clear and loud. Before he could figure out what he's doing out here with us, Attor wings come crashing around me and the world around me goes dark. Attor smells like earthly, like the grounds around us. Being stuck inside the wing of Attor is a scary feeling. Many thoughts play within my head but the sound of lightening and guns blazing around has me realizing what Attor is doing.

Protecting me.

But from what.

"Attor! Take her to my balcony! We're under attack!" Lazarus instructs with strict orders for his dragon. His roar can be heard from miles away. His wing opens up and I'm flipped swiftly onto his back. Attor glides through the air as if it's a breeze. Lazarus is beside us as Attor glides through the bullets and spears soaring around us. It felt like we're flying through the air for our lives for an eternity. But, in reality it only had taken him a few seconds to get to the balcony. Attor floats gracefully beside the railing. His wing extends out over the railing for me to climb over. Attor roars loudly as he blocks Lazarus's balcony from any foreign object.

"The war has came early. Your wings and power must have alerted them." Lazarus explains as he lands beside me.

"Who is they." I question.

"His Army." Lazarus says with a distasteful grunt.

"His Army? Who's His Army and what do they want with me. And what power do I hold? So many questions play through my head as I walk into his dorm.

Something's brewing and it isn't the Witch's tea.