Ch 5: His Tattered Wings

I wake up to Ms. Uriel and Lazarus squatting beside me. I blink one, I blink twice, I blink a third time as I look behind Lazarus's back.

Nothing. I see nothing there.

Had I imagined tattered black feathery wings?

"Nice for you to join us again." Ms. Uriel grumbles in annoyance. Who she's annoyed with, I have no idea. Probably me for randomly passing out in the middle of class. Before she could say another remark, the loud roar of dragons fills the room.

"Great, I can leave this horrendous class." Lazarus grunts out his distaste as he stands up and leaves my eyesight. Before anyone could object, I quickly onto my own two feet and sprint dizzily after him. Every step I take, he's a fifty feet ahead of me. By the time I have somewhat caught up to him; he's already outside moving like Satan is on his ass. Even through the crowded walkway, my eyes don't stray from his raven hair. I watch as he turns down an alleyway that leads to the back of our dorm building. As I make it to the alleyway, I realize it's barely lit with any lights. The sounds of my shoes hitting the pavement echoes in the silent darkness. Even in the dimly lit alleyway, I can see Lazarus just ahead. I push my small legs to move quicker. Along the way, I stumble over garbage bags and metal trash cans here and there. As I'm right behind him, the back door slams in my face.

Rude!

Stunned is all I feel with the glass door centimeters from my nose. I push the door open in anger as I watch the elevator doors close with Lazarus inside it.   I push open the stairway door and begin to climb up them. Why am I chasing after this asshole? That I can't answer, it's like body is doing this on its own accord. It feels like a string is tugging me towards him with every step he takes. Like two opposite ends of a magnet attracting to one another.

I push open the sixth floor door and enter my floor. The layout is still new to me but for some reason my legs move to the right as if I'm being pulled within that direction. I notice room left on the right side with 669 on the right side. I realize I'm heading in the correct direction. How I knew to take the right down the hall is beyond me. But I'm grateful for my legs knowing which way to go. Just as I make it to near our room numbers, I spot Lazarus standing in front of his door. It's like he can feel my eyes on him because he turns his head slightly and stare into my soul. Before I can mutter a single syllable, his door opens and he walks inside. I go from a brisk walk into a full run towards his door. Right before his door closes, my left foot stops it.

Rude I know.

He turns around shocked at why his door hasn't slammed shut yet.

"Just allow yourself in why don't you." He snaps in frustration.

"I need answers and you're going to give them to me." I demand.

"And who says I will. You just broke into my room and demand I give you answers? That isn't how this works, Angel." He sarcastically says as he smiles.

"Look, just tell me I imagined that you had black tattered feathery wings." I yet again demand as I stare down the laughing maniac in front of me.

"It's a sin to lie. That's not how my Father raised me, mate. So, I can't give you the answer you truly want." His voice is velvety smooth as he crosses his arms. The sarcastic smirk is now on his face.

"What do you mean?" My inquisitiveness gets the best of me.

"It means I can't tell you no, silly little girl." He responds with a shake of his head.

"I know that but tell me what you mean." I demand once again for the third time. I watch as his face contorts into a wicked smile.

"There we go demanding again." His voice is now a demonic sounding one. His velvety smooth voice has disappeared within himself. His eyes go darker, almost black as tattered black feathery wings sprout out behind his back.

"You're. You're." Words couldn't form correctly. It's like I'm speaking incoherently.

"I'm the Spawn of Satan, sweetheart. Lucifer is my father. I'm whatever one calls the Devil. What the hell did you expect? A mere human?" He laughs out hysterically.

"What are you?" I stammer out in confusion.

"You know the story about Lucifer don't you?" He questions with his brow raised. All I can do is nod my head yes.

"My father is the Fallen Angel. The notorious Fallen Angel was cursed as a demon. My mother is a vampire. Do you understand?" He pauses his explanation and flashes two abnormally long and sharp canines at me. I just stare at him, waiting for him to continue. Waiting for him to tell me he's joking.

"I'm the Prince of Hell. The next in line for the throne. Do you even know who you are?" He fires his next question at me. I again, shake my head; this time in a no fashion.

"You my dear are an Angel. Funny how the Prince of Hell is mated to an Angel. My soulmate is you darling. Like I said before, I was born with no heart. So, don't try to change me. It won't happen, all it'll do is leave you broken hearted and in tears." He says as he shakes his head. With a gust of wind from his wings, his balcony door burst open. The tall male in front of me doubles in size. A wicked tail with an arrow is now swishing around behind him. Horns begin to sprout from his forehead as he turns around and levitates in the air. I watch as his wings steadily flap and in a blink of an eye; he's out his balcony door, soaring through the sky.

Most people would run in fright. I stand rooted in my spot near his balcony as I watch him fly faster than before. It's mesmerizing to see such a creature, man in front of me.

I could stand here for hours just watching him fly across the sunset sky.