Chapter One

Three months later...

The house was still.

Talon sat as he had for the last three months before the fireplace, his eyes focused on the flickering flames, the only warmth he could stand. The smell of liquor had somehow sunk into the carpet, and he, himself, wasn't sure what day it was. With a painful grunt, he leaned forward. His body ached from the many nights he'd laid on the floor.

Rising, he barely glanced at the mirror. He knew he appeared haggard. Not that he cared overmuch for his appearance. He was more concerned with whether his servants had left the larder filled, or in anger at his angry and raging dismissal, they'd stolen that too.

After Bird's departure, he had sat still before the fireplace, drained of all desire to accomplish anything else. His very need to feed had dimmed, and he'd found himself wandering the halls like a hollow ghost, his every step making no sound. Even now he felt empty. Somehow, his very desire for revenge had been numbed.

Making his way out, past the bottles that littered the floor, he exited his bedchamber. His stomach gave a sound of protest and he frowned, rubbing his stomach.

Walking along the hallway, he contemplated why he'd allowed her to leave. In one moment, he felt the martyr. He'd sacrificed his happiness so that she may live. Yet, in another moment, he became filled with rage.

Why had he allowed those people to take her?!

As she lay in his bed, he'd grown surer that they would be laid to rest together. At least then he would no longer suffer the burgeoning hatred he held for those who were his family, and she would be freed from his cruelty.

He shook his head, his vision blurring for a moment. How long had it been since he'd eaten? he wondered as his staggering steps grew weaker and less steady. Soon, he stood at the stairs. They moved like the rolling sea before his eyes. Squeezing them shut, he shook his head in an effort to relieve the dizziness.

Making his way down them, he managed to reach the landing without falling and harming himself, though he sorely wished he had. Then maybe he'd be released from this nightmare.

The loud sound of knocking echoed in the empty house, the sound causing him to wince in pain. He glared at the door, wondering who had dared to come and ruin his solace. He'd warn even Gwen to stay away. He wasn't in the mood for having to run her off again. Especially not when he'd already contemplated ending their farce of a relationship.

Grimly, he made his way towards the door, his bare feet slapping against the marble floor. Reaching the door, he rested his weight against the door jamb. Moving his hand up, he placed it on the handle again, wondering silently to himself why he wished to burden himself with the view of what laid beyond the doors.

The door cracked open, and sunlight burst into the dimness inside, reflecting off the dirty mirror that rested on the wall across from the door.

"Where is she?!"

The third prince, Fitzwilliam, stood on the other side, his angry face twisted. Talon, who had little energy these days, lifted his lips in a sardonic grin. "Where is who?" he asked, his voice drawling.

"You know who!" his brother sharply rebutted, his reddened eyes brightening. "Bird! What did you do with her?!"

He took a step forward as if to threaten him with his stature. Talon, who wasn't the least threatened, allowed him entry by turning and leaning his back against the wall.

Shoving the door wide, Fitzwilliam entered, his eyes roving over the entryway. His lips drew back at the smell. "Dear God." He turned his attention to Talon, who hadn't been looking at him at all, but at the floor, and swallowed so many of the words he wanted to say. Instead, he spoke his thoughts. "It has been three months, brother, I beg of you...at least tell me where you buried her."