Chapter Six

Talon rode hard. The horse he'd borrowed from the royal stables stretched out its forelegs as she raced along the back paths. He needed something, anything to distract him from the memory of Bird's defiant gaze. He'd allowed her to push him too far. He could only blame himself, as he'd entertained her. The minute she'd touched his arm, he'd been trapped by her demanding gaze. 

There was no reason for him to speak with her, and in truth, he could have simply walked away, ignoring her insulting assumption of his people. Though, if she remembered some of her past, it would be based on her life with the Wellings. Though he claimed friendship with the family, he very rarely attended any of their functions. But now as he thought about them, he remembered a rumor about their treatment of their damphir. Everything stemming from the wife who was jealous of her husband's desire for his lovely food.

Letting out a shout, Talon pushed his mount harder. To think there had been a chance for him to claim Bird before she'd landed in his brother's hands.

The sound of thundering hooves didn't soothe his emotions. Instead, he thundered around a bend of stones that appeared to have been stacked atop one another, and seeing another pile of stones and sticks ahead, he raced for it, pushing himself and his mount. Leaning forward, he pressed himself closer to the mounts back in an effort to become one with the moving beast.

His eyes narrowed as he drew closer; he was almost there. Talon betted on his life to make it, and if he didn't... A picture of his broken body appeared in his mind, but he brushed it aside. No one cared truly whether he lived or died. Just like the sun that was quickly being eaten by the horizon in the distance, another would come and another, yet no one cared for the one that had died the day before.

Talon was so focused on the obstacle in the distance he didn't notice at first the added sound of thundering come from behind him. He only noticed when a high shriek broke the steady beat of the mount's hooves beneath him. Surprised by the sudden noise, he pulled on the reigns, jerking his horse to a stop.

Another mount pulled up alongside his, and after his sudden halt, it sped passed him, heading for the obstacle. The white mount lifted and flew over the obstacle. Landing elegantly, its body rippled from the force. The rider turned their mount so that it faced him. Familiar eyes of dark brown and mesmerizing purple bordered by thick lashes met his gaze. She smiled. "Are you scared, vampire!"

Her arm encompassed the cavernous surroundings, with its high cliffs. "The valley of R'or isn't for inexperienced riders." She lifted her chin, her eyes glinting with challenge. "Are you sure you can maneuver it before the sun sets?"

Instead of answering, Talon tightened his hold on his reigns and forced his mount forward. With a grunt, the horse pushed up and over the obstacle and landing hard, he whistled, settling the mount. Glancing over his shoulder at Bird, he smirked. "Didn't you know, princess, my kind are known to be the children of the night."

Scoffing at that, Bird rolled her eyes before giving a sharp shout and taking off. Talon didn't hesitate in chasing after her.

Soon, they were racing through the cavernous pathway the ancients had used years ago to attack those who'd dared to invade. The sound of the thundering hooves became one as the two of them pushed harder and harder. Currently, she was in the lead, her teasing laughter floating back to Talon, who couldn't hold back the smile that worked at his lips.

The more he heard it, the more he desired it, like water to a thirsty man. Talon wondered if he could share in her joy. Was he allowed to bathe in the warmth of her laughter, knowing he was a sinner to her? Knowing that if she for a moment remembered him that she would not so eagerly allow herself to enjoy this moment.