Chapter Ten

England...

London was lit up from the moving crowds below, the spring air had brought about the birth of merriment and desire, and anyone who was in with the ton knew to be at Lady Chases ball. It was a tight crush filled with dignitaries, ambassadors from foreign countries. The wall was lined with sweet perfumed debutantes who'd already had their coming out.

Their giggles of glee and interest, were completely ignored by the roués who stood on the other side of the ball room. Their hungry lust filled eyes focused on the seductive widows who fanned themselves leisurely in the corner, feigning no interest, despite their fans telling a different story.

Fitzwilliam barely spared a glance for any of them, bending over the hand of the well-aged Lady Chase he continued giving a short bow to her eldest Son. Despite Lord Chases place in society, he had as of yet chosen a bride, and was known for switching out damphirs like his cravats.

He was a handsome bloke of chiseled jaw, and deep seated blue eyes. His sharp eyes noticed Fitzwilliam antsy movements immediately. He silently observed Fitz as he searched the crowd.

"You are searching for the lady of Carthage," It wasn't a question but a statement.

Fitz sent him an annoyed look as he reached out taking a flute of champagne from a passing servant trey, "You could be wrong, I could be searching for the next female who shall warm my bed."

Lord Chase chuckled, "Oh, don't be trite. Everyone here knows your affection for her. Whites There's even a bet at whites, in the books there is a bet one whether you'll spend your time between her thighs in your bothers absents...After all between those pretty lily white thighs, sits the throne and a very, very powerful family."

Taking a deep drink of his champagne, although he dearly wished for something stronger. Fitzwilliam eyes narrowed in anger, "Chase, I've no qualms with shoving your head into any one of these many potted plants."

"I mean so insult," Chase said, his voice drawling, "But you've limited time, your brother will return, and when he does he will take his throne. The house of Echimedes cannot allow for our only chance at the throne to slip through our fingers again."

Fitzwilliam scoffed, "It is funny that a mere year ago, no one held any expectation of me, or my time. No one cared whether I showed my face or not, yet...At the sudden disappearance of the second prince, I've been saddled with carrying the fate of one of the most hated house in Britain." Chuckling still he quaffed back the rest of his drink, and setting the flute onto another servant's trey.

Giving a short bow to Lord Chase he excused himself having spotted Gwen, who just entered the ball. She was being escorted by her mother. she looked riveting in a gown of deep golden color. It was light and revealed her curves splendidly, Fitzwilliam watched as she smiled greeting those she knew. She was truly beautiful, her violet eyes shining from the lights of the candles that hung high in the candelabra.

He drifted through the crowd, following her as she continued to make her rounds. How he ached to own her, and to make her his. He hadn't intended on leaving her side, ever. He'd been prepared to make her his with his entire being.

He held no love for his family, nor did he have an obligation. He'd been prepared and eager to call her wife, but with one letter his entire future became derailed. And in an instant Gwen, his lovely Gwen had become a prized key to the throne.

Her radiant beauty hadn't dulled. He, unlike his eldest brother didn't truly need her for the throne. Especially if Talon died, he would be the only one left. His father, though the man loosely wore the title—would have no other choice but the give him the throne.